Soundbars (Yes or No)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
It seems every 6 months or so, I think should I get a soundbar.
Do they make the TV experience any better, ie is sound clearer.
I have Sky & watch the odd film & a few hours of sport a week.
I have often thought of getting one from Argos to try & then no quibble return if not satisfied.
I do not play music from my mobile & listen rarely to the radio.
Just looking for views/advice.

Sponsored Links
If you have a massive flat screen TV then yes buy a sound bar.... No real quality goes into speakers in modern TVs it is all about the picture.

A decent sound bar will make the whole viewing experience better. Also a few added good features (of the one I have) is things like audio sync so if I watch something from youtube or other streaming service where the sound is out it makes it very easy to adjust.

You can buy a half decent soundbar for under £200

TV is 47 I think (Samsung, NOT wall mounted), not large by todays standards.
Im looking at the Samsung HW-N300 2.0 That is in the Currys sale, its £129 was £299, Im guessing its an old model.

I have a Samsung TV and Samsung sound bar. Both excellent.

Model not sure unless I go look both about 2 years old.

Sponsored Links
I'm no expert about such things, but I thought I'd just mention that we bought a 5.1 sound system rather than a soundbar (with or without subwoofer).
It comprises separate R&L speakers, a centre speaker, two rear speakers and a subwoofer (built into a cabinet which sits behind the TV support). Of course, there aren't many broadcast TV programmes that use 5.1, but we have a number of DVDs and BDs that do.
Perhaps you might like to look into that sort of system as well as a soundbar.

The HD channels on Freeview, and probably the same on Freesat, output Dolby Digital in either 5.1 or 2.0

A lot of the programmes on regular SD channels carry Dolby Surround. Setting the surround system to Dolby PLII will either pick up and decode Dolby Surround or, where it's not present, it will produce a pseudo surround effect.

We had a Dolby sound system and it was terrific but as the wife said, we live in a semi and next door will get ****ed off so I got rid of it. I'd like to just be able to hear dialogue clearer so have considered a sound bar but she’s having none of it because of the booming system we got rid of.

It seems every 6 months or so, I think should I get a soundbar.
Do they make the TV experience any better, ie is sound clearer.
I have Sky & watch the odd film & a few hours of sport a week.
I have often thought of getting one from Argos to try & then no quibble return if not satisfied.
I do not play music from my mobile & listen rarely to the radio.
Just looking for views/advice.

My wife bought me a soundbar for christmas. The current LG 42" OLED TV sits on a shelf in a unit so i thought that the sound was always going to be compromised by the TV's location.

The sound bar is a Q acoustics M3 (i chose it after reading a load of reviews and didn't want a subwoofer)and produces a very good sound. However, is the improvement in sound that significant? To be honest, no.

I'm not an audiophile, but the level of improvment of the sound isn't worth the cost in my opinion.

That being said, i find HD TV only marginally better than non HD as well.

We had a Dolby sound system and it was terrific but as the wife said, we live in a semi and next door will get ****ed off so I got rid of it. I'd like to just be able to hear dialogue clearer so have considered a sound bar but she’s having none of it because of the booming system we got rid of.

If you don't use a sub, it shouldn't be boomy.

I find the front (dialogue) speaker makes the biggest improvement, you can turn the others down a bit, but they still improve the "surround"

Not used one myself, but they would certainly be better than TV speakers.
I have a Marantz amp with centre, left, right and surround speakers. But also used for music.

Something like this might be better for movie viewing, as it will give surround sound and have better bass control: Logitech Z906
surround sound.jpg

Of course, there aren't many broadcast TV programmes that use 5.1

Freeview HD is in Dolby 5.1, maybe not all HD channels, but sure I watched some BBC films in 5.1 over Christmas

I find 5.1 excellent on modern films and TV shows, also music.

You can get the crowd cheering behind you, or traffic noise in a street scene. It does fill the room. There is no obligation go turn up the volume.

You can turn up the front central speaker for dialogue

I would say a definite yes, flat screen tv's have lousy speakers, even a decent / simple sound bar will improve things no end.

I have this. It sounds good. Rega floorstanders provide the bass. Nice meaty centre speaker. Plus 2 rear speakers.
speakers.png

Should of got rid of the wife, I'm sure shes a BOOMING noise when shes having a moan.

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Andy

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back