Soundproofing party wall, single brick. Help!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, 1st time poster, so hopefully I'm in the right place!

I'm currently converting a Grade II listed Georgian Townhouse, in a Special Cumulative Impact Policy area, into a Restaurant.

I have planning permission agreed with a number of conditions, one in particular is being quite tricky, this is the wording.

"Prior to commencement of development, details of an acoustic insulation scheme shall be submitted to and approved in writing by the local planning authority. The scheme shall be implemented in accordance with the approved details and completed to the satisfaction of the local planning authority before the development is occupied/brought into use."

I am planning to install an independent stud frame consisting of 15mm sound panel boards on one side with a 75mm acoustic insulation inserted into the middle and 15mm fire panel boards on the other side. There will be an air gap of approx 100mm from the party wall. The party wall is 1 brick thick and the fireplace is on the neighbours side.

I have tried numerous Acoustics companies to try and assist in the matter, yet out of 3, only 1 has come back to me with a quote of over £1200 plus VAT!!!

All I want to know is, is what I'm proposing going to be sufficient, I know it is quite a broad question but this is my first venture and feel like my money is going nowhere fast!! The restaurant will have background music and no more than 20 people in each room at any given time.

Hopefully someone on here can help...

Andy

Sponsored Links
I'm puzzled that you seem to have decided what the solution will be prior to seeking proposals from acoustic installers.

I'm puzzled that you seem to have decided what the solution will be prior to seeking proposals from acoustic installers.

This has been the advice from both my building company and the company that sells the acoustic boards and insulation. I'm looking to get other expert's opinions, as local acoustic companies have not been helpful as of yet.. with the exception of a £1200+ quote!!

Thanks

Andy

You will need to get building controls opinion, and that will be the one that matters. Any you might need to work to decibels, not number of people in the room.

You could most likely have a solution using rockwool and Fermacel, MDF or cement boards, without the need for such a large air gap.

Sponsored Links
You will need to get building controls opinion, and that will be the one that matters. Any you might need to work to decibels, not number of people in the room.

You could most likely have a solution using rockwool and Fermacel, MDF or cement boards, without the need for such a large air gap.

Thanks Woody, I'll do that and see where I get!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back