sour sickly taste and smell in room,,,nicotine stains or wee

Is this a semi or terrace where the neighbour uses the other part of the chimney? There are millions of unused and uncapped chimneys out there that cause no problems.

Sponsored Links
yes mate the smell was acidic,,,and always worse on a windy day,,,definately the chimney,,,i plan to put rain caps on the pots at the top and pull the wool out,,,the coal fire has a sort of steel well under where the actual fire would burn,,,or where the grate would stand if you know what i mean,,,with a pipe coming from it which goes into the basement as if it been some kind of heating system a long time ago??? also has a knob attached to a steel bar that opens a flap in the pipe to open or close???,,,ive never seen anything like it,,,the place was built around 1900 i believe................

Sponsored Links
,with a pipe coming from it which goes into the basement as if it been some kind of heating system a long time ago???
Possibly an ash disposal system. Saves the risk of dropping a bucket of ash on the carpet. Or it might be a way to get air to the fire without having a colod draught in the room from an open door or window. Or even both of those.

Back