source of info for roof construction

The link is inaccesable because you have to join that site for access.

Sponsored Links
Browfish, ignore Freddie, perhaps he feels he is giving good advice but he is wrong.
You do need a slight sag on the underlay between rafters to allow for any moisture (wind blown snow or condensation) that may get onto it to drain freely to the eaves without wetting the battens. It is nonsense to suggest that it will flap in the wind!
25x50mm battens are recommended and are the norm, there's nothing to stop you using 100x50 or any other size of timber but what's the point? It's like digging 20' deep foundations instead of 4' - you don't gain anything. The battens are there to support tiles not 14 stone men.
There is no possibility of the fixing nails going through the battens and piercing the underlay if the correct length of nail is used as recommended by the manufacturers

Errrr Roofer, i dont feel i am giving anything except what i was told by other roofers and the tile manufacturers and what i experienced myself.

I did say that i wasnt sure on the reason for draping, and if you are correct that means the doubled up rafter at the bottom will last all of 5 mins, and yes where we live the felt will flap in the wind and does.

Nails--well Roadstone only sell or sold one length of aluminium nails for their tiles and they will penertrate 25mm battens even though i do take your point on wieght, but the thinner they are they will distort or sag, and isnt it the battens which hold a roof structure solid? so just and only me thinking that the stronger and better they are the better the job, but if thats a wrong way of thinking for basically just .5" of wood i stand to be corrected.

I didnt know you could lay tiles so snow or anything other than wind penertrates them :eek:

Sponsored Links
Thanks guys for all the help so far
i dont know the exact tiles i will be using yet but i know i cant batton until i know this
i have put the jpb on hold for now thought until the first storey roof is done so that if anything is dropped it doesnt go through the single storey roof

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back