source of info for roof construction

If it's slates you are supposed to use that breathable stuff, if tiles use normal felt cause there is loads of gaps under them tiles.

Sponsored Links
No it will be concrete tiles.
I have already ordered 3 rolls of roofshield. THey were only £35 so probably cheaper than the normal stuff in the end.

Sponsored Links
browfish said:
Somebody else has told me to put a slight drap in it between each rafter!

It will strech and contract due to heat, being as it's cold you want it tight, if it's loose you will hear it flapping and banging in the wind and it will drive you mad

right O.
Will do that then.
I have put the work on hold for now as i figured it is probably best to let the brickie finish and tile the 2nd storey section first incase anything is dropped througtht the felt.

Been told that 2"x1.5" is too big for battons today and that i cant get that in treated timber. So i have ordered 2x1 instead. Is this ok?, i shall have to shift the brackets on my roof lights but thats no problem. Any comments?
thanks

If your rafter centres are 600mm or less then 25mmX 50mm is ample and should stop any bounce in the battens when nailing the slates.
As for roofshield you need to drape it between the rafters , just in case as you have been told Different things by different people
Have a look at this link ;)

http://www.proctorgroup.com/proctor.asp?top=1&left=80

thanks, will have a look at that now

edit, thanks again, had a look at the link and looks like you were right. Will do it that way then.

Well i'll leave you too it now you seem in good hands, couple of things though.

I did drape it between rafters against what i was told, but the problem is the wind whistles through the tiles and sucks and blows which makes the felt very noisy, which is why i was tild to pull it tight but whatever.

As regards battens, if you want the job done properly then get the thickest you can for a number of reasons being---obvious strength---they begin to sag after a few years and your lovely flat roof isnt flat anymore----you are standing on them and if they brake around a knot you may have a good repair to do which is very irritating---the aluminium nails may go through your 1" battens and tear your flapping felt in the wind which is most likely why roofers tell you to use the 1" so they get more work further down the line, just as they tell you to do a pointless exercise of only just nailing every third or fourth row of tiles so they can come off in the wind which is against manufacturers instructions.

But i will let you carry on :)

Thaks for all your help freddie.
I dont know what to do now, Argh :eek:
I understand the reason for pulling it taught and that it will elliminate flapping. Im just confused as the manufacturers specify a sag. What is the purpose of this sag?
The other problem is that my supplier says that 2x1.5" doesnt come in treated timber and that i should use 2x1. Most of the rafters are well under 600 (except where the rooflights are in), so hopefully these will be ok.
thanks again everyone

The sag for the felt may be that if you put it on in the summer tight, and the winter comes it will contract and cant so it may rip. You will be putting it on in the cold, if you have a sag now it will be an even bigger sag on a hot day and believe me those tiles get hot enough to fry eggs.

As regards rafters--600mm :eek: :eek: mine were 400mm, i wqouldnt like to stand on a piece of 2x1 at 600 mm centres :eek: my 13.5 stone would soon be through into the room below and i can bet they will sag with a hefty concrete tile on.

Treated timber is fairly new 20 years or so, you could treat the battens yourself, not as good but better than none at all

Well freddie has not walked up to many roofs.
A roofer will learn to walk on the battens on top of the rafters not in between them and roofers that have been at it for a while will remember when all tiles were put on top of 25mm X25mm , and some still use 19m X 38mm , and many use 25mm X 38mm.
I have fixed 100s of 1000s of meters of battens in 30 years !

“25mm X 50mm will more than confirm to building regs and all manufactures recommendations.
If you fix the felt as the manufactures state then if there is a problem with it you will at least be able to go back to them for help , If you don’t then you will have no come back and they will say its been fixed wrong.

You can buy battens in 19mmX 38mm / 25mm X 38mm / 25mm X 50mm all is treated and commonly used.

If your still not to shore ask at any roofing suppliers what type of battens you should use for the type of tiles that you are going to use , some of them will even work out how much batten you will need .
Or use your key board and look !! try this link and look at some of the pdf files there are lots of pitchers http://www.redland.co.uk/cgi-bin/ro...ccdaddgjjdldhgcfngcfkmdfhkdfhh.0&catOID=-8093

If you zoom in they will tell you what to use.

Or this site will help http://www.selfbuildit.co.uk/roofing.htm

Open this link

http://www.redland.co.uk/cgi-bin/ro...BV_EngineID=cccdaddgjjdldhgcfngcfkmdfhkdfhh.0

Then on the left click Literature Then when this page opens click
on Download Brochures Then pick the type of tile and open the pdf file .

Now as for fixing/nailing/clipping that is different all over the UK + the rest of the world .
If tiles or slates are fixed as the manufactures state then they should be fine as most manufactures do substantial testing before putting there hands up to say fix them like this. But then I did not say any thing about nailing or clipping in the past post.

SO Browfish What type of concrete tiles are you using ?

We have Canal tiles on are roof in south west France and they just sit on boards are not nailed/clipped or hang on any type of nib and are all still up there after the 140kmh winds we had 5 weeks ago :eek:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back