"Space" loft insulation, I am sure my house is now

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi chaps, I live in a small 1930 two bedroom bungalow, and I have recently topped up my attic insulation with the "Space insulation" glass fibre rolls,the style with the silver on one side.
I followed all instructions according to the wrapping, ie silver side up.

Now this is my dilemma I have noticed over the past week .

Because the silver reflects heat I find that the rooms are very cold, as no heat is passing through the ceiling to the rooms below, a typical example, that at about 4pm on a nice sunny day the room temperature is about 12 degrees C, and outside it is about 17 degrees C, by 7pm I am having to put background heating on, surly this is wrong?, or am I missing some trick of the trade perhaps?

During the winter months I cant say that I am over impressed with the before and after result, as even on a winter day any attic heat is not passing into the house.
Any ideas please?

Regards
Keith

Sponsored Links
Are you saying the attic is not very warm or the rooms below?
The thermal insulation above it, is to stop heat escaping, it will not warm your rooms up, that's what the heaters are for, but it will mean the heat from the heaters is not escaping. That will mean the rooms stay warmer and should be more efficient.

Hi prentisboy, the attic is very warm and the living room is cold,I dont like having to put the heating on in spring, when the sun should warm the rooms indirectly, in other words this time of year, last year the rooms was pleasantly warm, but not now.

Regards
Keith

well theres your answer remove the foil for the spring and relay it for the autumn :LOL:

or turn the heating on ;)
but seriously open the curtains as early as you can on windows that get the sun to get the maximum solar gain

also was the outside temperature at night this cold last year at this time i dont think it was

Sponsored Links
At this time of year you are not going to be getting huge solar gain through the roof/attic so that is irrelevant, but since the effect of the foil is also relatively small at any time your problem is a small mystery.

Hi chaps thanks for your ideas, I will try them out.
Regards
Keith

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back