Spalling bricks. Damp in house. How to remedy issue, render? Clad?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've been in the house for 7 years, a victorian 1901 with cavity. We installed central heating have brown spotty walls upstairs. Have injected chemicals downstairs with chemicals. Around 7 courses spalled bricks above damp course down length of house. Walls are always cold.

Humidity in house 58-70% if dehumidifier not running. I do all the standard, no furniture next to wall, dehumidifier crack a window etc

I always get differing opinions, ask for quotes to repoint and they just want to render. Builders are happy to clad or render. I read it can cause damp issues and I would just like this better/ solved and not waste more money. Any suggestions?

Attachments

• 20230414_192908.jpg
    20230414_192908.jpg
    392.3 KB · Views: 77
  • 20230414_192900.jpg
    20230414_192900.jpg
    523.9 KB · Views: 69
  • 20230414_192821.jpg
    20230414_192821.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 64
  • 20230414_192758.jpg
    20230414_192758.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 65
Sponsored Links
Strange location for spalling.

It looks like a cavity wall

Is water getting in from the roof or gutter?

Shut the internal doors and windows overnight, or if you go away.

Which rooms get the highest humidity, or condensation on the windows or other places?

Any nearby plumbing?

Are the floors concrete, or wooden with a ventilated void beneath?

Why is the soil pipe so strange?

Stand back and take some wider pics, roof to ground. Include all plumbing and downpipes, airbricks, and nearby drains, gullies and manholes please.

Can you see the original dpc? How far above today's ground level is it?

Sponsored Links
Only get condensation when heating on in winter, when it's really cold/ frosty. Get black mold on window of unused room is I forget to have window slightly open.

Recently found downstairs bathroom not insulated but now remedied, it was the worst. Other rooms about the same for humidity 58-70%

Soil pipe is to my newly installed upstairs bathroom. Spots happened prior to bathroom installation. Just prior to bathroom all drains surveyed and lined as a roots had gone into pipe. New manhole when new soil pipe added.
Will add photos tomorrow.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back