Spark Plugs Removal

I've seen heads with helicoil inserts in every plug hole so I can't see them being a repair. I just presumed they came out of the factory this way.

I do agree though that the more modern ones don't have them, the alloys used are probably better now.

I still can't get the link to work, but to me it sounds as if someone as used the wrong size socket and chewed the plug up. I can't see rust just taking the edges off the plug.

I would try a tight fitting hexagonal socket and knock it on the plug.

I didn't think the plug had broken off, although I find the description a little hard to follow

Sponsored Links
Just got the link once, then I tried to look again and it says restricted access.

Perhaps shaggy may know better than me as I haven't worked on this actual engine type. Is that some kind of heat shield around the plug?

They wouldn't have been designed that way so may have been a reclaim in the factory, but Helicoils are really rubbish except for light duty jobs. If you ever need to reclaim a sparkplug thread the Time-Sert is the best way.
If it did have a Helicoil, the plug would still be easier to remove from a warm head as the Helicoil is only a spiral of wire and not solid insert.
I can't understand the description either.

Sponsored Links
c27c.jpg

535b.jpg

Sorry, no idea.

Thank you for the piccy.

I was just curious if it is some kind of heat shield and if you have to remove it to get a socket on properly.

It looks like the rubber insert from the plug socket but it can't be because pagal has had a poke down there.

....or is it?

Back