Speedfit Plastic inserts - help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
On my first visit to the local Trade Depot, I pick up some JS Speedfit pipe connections and inserts. On my second visit I realised there were two types of inserts, plain plastic ones with a lip and a small notch shape in the lip, and inserts with 'o' rings.

The original ones seem to work & don't leak, but what have I used? Why the different types?

Wolfboy

Sponsored Links
wolfboy said:
On my first visit to the local Trade Depot, I pick up some JS Speedfit pipe connections and inserts. On my second visit I realised there were two types of inserts, plain plastic ones with a lip and a small notch shape in the lip, and inserts with 'o' rings.

The original ones seem to work & don't leak, but what have I used? Why the different types?

Wolfboy

Doesn't matter which ones you use-I think the later ones had an extra O ring so as to make them 'safer' but either will work.

OOPS! I have just worked it out. The plain inserts are for when you use compression joints with speedfit pipe.

Anyone know if it will be ok, or will I need to change them?

wolfboy

I've never seen that anywhere. When Speedfit first came out and for some time afterwards, they only did the plain inserts.
"The plain ones don't leak but the ones with O rings leak less, sir"?

Sponsored Links
ChrisR said:
I've never seen that anywhere. When Speedfit first came out and for some time afterwards, they only did the plain inserts.
"The plain ones don't leak but the ones with O rings leak less, sir"?

Yeh, new improved versions apparently,if the old ones were ok then why change them? :eek:

I believe it is down to the cutting of the pipe if it was not straight the ones without the o rings could let water by internally and possibly leak out.
Just a thought
Pete

I was looking at the speedfit website and found the insert listed for use with compression fittings.

http://www.speedfit.co.uk/part_spec.asp?s=TSM_S2 Wolfboy

I did the same thing in January to repair a speedfit pipe after I put a screw through it. I used some old type inserts left in the loft by the builder who built my extension. Its not leaked (yet) But as all of the connections in the whole extension must have been made with the same inserts, as this was the norm at the time I'm not too worried.

There must be 1,000's of joints with the old style inserts out there.

oohh! who said anything about gas!

So the concensus is...

Leave the ones already done, but use 'o' rings in future?

wolfboy

I checked with speedfit and this was their reply..

"Although we would always recommecnd that you use the 'STS' or superseal insert when joining our pipe to our fittings we would rather you use a 'TSM' than no insert at all. Lots of regular installers of Speedfit have only used the 'TSM' insert and never used the 'STS'. So would I advise you to go through the hassle of removing the 'TSM's' and replacing them with the 'STS's'. No, provided you've installed them correctly, they should not cause any problems."

wolfboy

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back