Split opening garage doors - locking/security advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

New house has solid wood garage doors - hinged on the outside and opening out from the centre, so not the typical up and over type single door. Although the doors are about 70 years old I believe, they are still solid and have obviously been looked after. Hinges are pretty good too.

Anyway, it currently has a combination of vertical and horizontal bolts all accessed from the inside, plus a standard Yale latch type lock with key access from the outside. Over the years, the key has been lost so I need to replace the cylinder at the bare minimum.

Before I do that, I wondered if there is a better way of securing the doors from the OUTSIDE, so that I can go out on my bike for example and lock the garage doors sufficiently with just a key or two. Then obviously when I'm back, enter straight into the garage and lock it all up from the inside again.

Any suggestions?

Sponsored Links
Surely that's exactly what the Yale lock will allow you to do - exit and lock it then return, enter and lock it, all with one key?

If not too old, the Yale lock may have a double-lock feature which means an extra turn of the key prevents the lock being opened forcibly from inside or out.

If you want extra security you could always add a hasp & staple or one of the many variants that exist. Hardware shelves of all the sheds have many to offer.

Hi kbdiy,

Yes, the existing Yale lock will do that - I just wanted to check there wasn't something else I could fit instead/as well as, before I replace like for like. It's quite an old one so doesn't have the deadlocking you mention.

I was thinking the only other thing I could add would be a secondary, 5-lever type mortice lock on to the opening door, so it at least has two locking points.

I'll invest in a new Yale latch for now and see how I go.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back