Splitting a 2 storey extension into two builds

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am in the early stages of planning/considering some fairly extensive building works at my house. I have a single storey attached garage that projects from the side of the house. I would like to have an additional bedroom built above the garage and also extend the bathroom into new space as well.

My plan is to knock down the garage as the wall is a 9" solid wall. I will then have it rebuilt about 1 meter further out and take this all the way to the roof.

Now, funds wise, i'm unlikely to be able to get this done in one go - so my question is (in theory) could I get the garage rebuilt and stop the build at that level and then have it built ontop of a couple of years down the line?

The aim would be to have the garage built in such a way that the room above can be thrown up with relative ease when funds permit. I know I'll need a structural floor at the ceiling height, but I was considering installing a relatively cheap flat roof on top of this, that can be ripped off at a later date - possibly epdm.

Is this theoretically possible? I know this is not the cheapest way of doing it, but I just want to know if the idea is feasible. Or, is there something i'm totally unaware of that would make this impossible?

Thanks as always.

Sponsored Links
Theoretically it is fine- you're already aware that it'll be more costly. I'd do what you're already planning to do- construct to first floor level properly (go a few courses above) then chuck some insulation in, cover with OSB, clad with EPDM or fibreglass or even felt if you're confident of the couple of years timeline.

Whatever you actually do, draw it up as if you're building the whole thing (including stuff like plumbing, heating, power, drainage) and then cut the top off it.

Not sure if your plan is PD or not- if you do need PP you should only need one lot (for the whole scheme), the only sticky point might be the intermediate flat roof if it looks fugly and someone moaned but even then I think you'd be fine- once you've commenced your build (under PP anyway) you have forever to complete it

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back