Spotlight bar wiring - HELP!! :(

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, newbie to the site looking for help - I've tried searching and reading other posts but i'm still stuck!

Attempting to install a new spotlight bar in our bathroom. I've removed the old ceiling rose intending to wire the earth, neutral and live wires to the new bar as stated in the instructions, but I have about 10 different wires hanging from the ceiling and I've no idea what goes where!!

The pictures attached show the wires, there's 3 large grey 'wires' hanging down with various wires coming out of them as follows:

Grey wire 1 - has 1 green/yellow, 1 black, 1 brown and 1 grey wire.
Grey wire 2 - has 1 green/yellow and 2 browns
Grey wire 3 - has 1 black and 1 red wire and also what looks like 1 copper wire that feeds into the green/yellow in Grey wire 2.

The spotlight bar has 3 ports for live, neutral and earth. Again, photo attached.

Can anybody help? I've no idea what goes where! Stupidly I also didnt make a note of the wiring before I removed the old rose, I presumed most of the wires were part of the old light fixture and would come away with the old rose leaving just a live, neutral and earth dangling from the ceiling - not 10 like I've got now!

Total novice at all this so any help would be greatly appreciated.... :)

Sponsored Links
Oh dear !

1) Is that new light suitable for bathrooms ?

2) The grey wires are called cables.

3) Do you have an extractor fan? If so that will be the brown/black/grey cable. Have a look at the fan wiring and see what colour wire goes into each of the terminals. e.g. L SL N

4) The cable with the 2 brown probably goes to the switch. You should/could confirm by looking behind the switch

5) If your going to fit that light you will need a terminal block to connect some of the wires together. (maybe the red and the switch brown)

That cable in the middle ("two browns") looks like a brown and maybe a blue that has been oversleeved with some brown sleeving. Is that the case?

That cable in the middle ("two browns") looks like a brown and maybe a blue that has been oversleeved with some brown sleeving. Is that the case?

Well spotted! Ive had a look and it is a blue cable with a brown sleeve over it. What does that make it?

Sponsored Links
Oh dear !

1) Is that new light suitable for bathrooms ?

2) The grey wires are called cables.

3) Do you have an extractor fan? If so that will be the brown/black/grey cable. Have a look at the fan wiring and see what colour wire goes into each of the terminals. e.g. L SL N

4) The cable with the 2 brown probably goes to the switch. You should/could confirm by looking behind the switch

5) If your going to fit that light you will need a terminal block to connect some of the wires together. (maybe the red and the switch brown)

There is an extractor fan in the loft, but we don't ever have it switched on as there is no vent for it to the outside. I presume I could ignore these and push them up through the hole in the ceiling into the loft? Would they still be live once the power goes back on?

Means it's the switch wire. Goes to L on the light fixture

Have u had a look at the fan yet?!

Ok then. Push the fan cable up leaving it taped up.

Is the fan on/off switch a wide switch?

On the remaining 2 cables:

Connect the red and the brown together in a separate terminal block
Connect the remaining 2 green/yellows to the green/yellow on the light.
Connect the blue with brown sleeve to L on the light
Connect the black to N on the light

The fan isolation switch is outside the bathroom and is a relatively large wide switch, yes.

Re: taping the fan cables - If i just tape the fan cables and push them into the loft though won't they still be getting power from the mains when I switch the power back on? If the fan is isolated then i understand it would be off but if someone were to switch the isolation switch on wouldnt that mean there are live cables somewhere under the insulation in the loft?

Thanks for all your replies by the way they're much appreciated!

In a normal install the fan would get its power from where u disconnected it.
So normally it would be perfectly safe.

The problem is that I can't be 100% certain that goes to the fan without being there.

If your light works afterwards and the fans doesn't it's highly likely I was right though.

In a normal install the fan would get its power from where u disconnected it.
So normally it would be perfectly safe.

The problem is that I can't be 100% certain that goes to the fan without being there.

If your light works afterwards and the fans doesn't it's highly likely I was right though.

Ahh so the fan gets its power from the ceiling rose? I have a volt tester pen, presumably if i switch the lighting circuit back on and test the fan wires and if they don't show live then they are safe to be taped up and go into the loft?

On the remaining 2 cables:

Connect the red and the brown together in a separate terminal block
Connect the remaining 2 green/yellows to the green/yellow on the light.
Connect the blue with brown sleeve to L on the light
Connect the black to N on the light

Where does the separate terminal block go once the red and brown are connected to it?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back