Spotlight bar wiring - HELP!! :(

Volt stick pens aren't too good.

If the fan isolator switch had brown black grey wires it would be reassuring.

Sponsored Links
If it doesn't then it isn't.
Surely it would say on the instructions if it wasn't suitable?
Instructions generally say what things are suitable for, not what they are not suitable for. Given the bizarre and sometimes stupid things that consumers may try to do, a list of uses that a product is not suitable for would go on for ever, and could never be exhaustive. Does your light, for example, say that it is not suitable for use under water?

You will see a good few food products labelled "suitable for vegetarians"- but have you ever seen one labelled "not suitable for vegetarians"?

Kind Regards, John

Volt stick pens aren't too good.

If the fan isolator switch had brown black grey wires it would be reassuring.

I've opened the fan isolation switch and it is wired up as can be seen in the picture.

2 cables coming in to the switch, both with 1 brown, 1 grey and 1 black wire and both seem to be sharing the green/yellow wire as there is a copper wire from each leading into the casing of the green/yellow.

Fairly conclusive what that cable is doing then.

I wouldn't have any worries shoving it up out the way.

May as well leave a bit in the light fixture in case you want to connect the fan up in the future.

However about taking that light back to Argos next week for an exchange? for something more suitable

Sponsored Links
Ok so took the dog for a walk and popped into Wickes and bought a new spotlight bar that is suitable for bathrooms. This one also has 2 extra ports for looping wires. So......

Assuming the wires in the cable on the extreme left of the orignal picture are for the extractor fan, I'm only working with the two cables on the right and need to wire up as follows....

1. Connect the green/yellow to Earth on the light

2. Connect blue with brown sleeve to Live on the light

3. Connect the black to the Neutral on the light.

As far as the remaining red and brown go do I Connect the red and brown together and put into one of the loop loop ports on the light??? Or do I put the red in one side and the brown in the opposite?

Thanks so much for your help on this!

It doesn't matter. Which ever is easiest

Ok cool thanks mate, I'll try it in the morning when it's light. Just so i'm clear though.....

1. Connect the green/yellow to Earth on the light

2. Connect blue with brown sleeve to Live on the light

3. Connect the black to the Neutral on the light.

Connect the remaining red and brown to either of the two free ports (one in each) on the light.

Tape the cable on the left and stick it up into the loft.

Switch the light on and bingo....! Hopefully.... :)

I think you should connect the fan cable in while you have the chance, and leave the switch off until you get some fan ducting etc, ASSUMING THE CABLE AT THE FAN IS SAFELY TERMINATED to the old fan.

You'll need a working fan.

If you did this, you need to identify which colours are which on the fan cable.

Also, at the light, you'll possibly struggle getting those wires to reach the terminal block in the fitting. Remember, the earth connection needs to make contact with the metalwork of the light.

You may need a short piece of cable and some connector blocks to make the connections within the light.

I recommend you send pictures of the wiring at the light before you switch on, just to be sure you've done a decent job.

I think you should connect the fan cable in while you have the chance, and leave the switch off until you get some fan ducting etc, ASSUMING THE CABLE AT THE FAN IS SAFELY TERMINATED to the old fan.

You'll need a working fan.

If you did this, you need to identify which colours are which on the fan cable.

Also, at the light, you'll possibly struggle getting those wires to reach the terminal block in the fitting. Remember, the earth connection needs to make contact with the metalwork of the light.

You may need a short piece of cable and some connector blocks to make the connections within the light.

I recommend you send pictures of the wiring at the light before you switch on, just to be sure you've done a decent job.

Ok so I've wired up the light as shown in the picture and as described above. Everything is working - the light itself and all the other upstairs lights.

I've tested the fan cable I pushed into the loft with a volt pen - both with the isolator switch switched on and off whilst the light is on, and it shows no voltage, so I presume it's dead? The lighting cable next to it does show a voltage.

So am I good to go now....? Anybody see any issues with the wiring? Is it job done?

One last point, even when we had the fan running and the window open, the bathroom does get very damp and often has droplets of water on the ceiling after a shower - is there any way these could get inside the new light fitting and cause a short circuit or some other issue? The ceiling is quite uneven (old house) so the fit with the ceiling isnt as flush as it could be - maybe a 2mm gap between the light fixture and the ceiling in places.

The light is in an outside zone, but the whole ceiling gets damp due to it being a small room.

The previous ceiling rose obviously could have been affected by the same issue. I presume all electric lighting in a bathroom has some inherrant risk attached due to it being a wet environment etc??

Thanks again for all your help on this, I really do appreciate it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back