Spraying Kitchen Units

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello everyone,

I'm just about to start spray painting kitchen units, just units not the doors, with HVLP.

My plan is to:

Completely sand everything
1 coat Supergrip Primer
Undercoat
2 Top coats black satin
(hand sanding between coats)

Should I finish off with polyurethane for durability?

Would anyone be able to tell me if I am on the right path?

Thanks very much in advance for any advice

Greig

Sponsored Links
What are you trying to do, am a bit confused by your post.

I have had kitchen unit doors sprayed for a client but don't know why you are wanting to spray up the melamine sides :?:
You hardly see them when all the doors are on and shut, or are these in such bad condition that giving them a good scrub will not improve them.
I am guessing that you are removing the units to spray elsewhere and not in the house!!

Thanks for replying, I'm getting new black gloss doors and it would look a lot better if the carcasses were black as well with the layout of the kitchen and it would be a nightmare dismantling it to put new matching side panels on.

I was just going to spray them in place with heaps of masking, removing all hinges etc

Sponsored Links
Thanks, I know might just try spraying the end panel bits and see how it looks

Not sure if you plan to use waterbased or oilbased.

Waterbased will be difficult to atomise, you'd be better off with an airless sprayer.

Oilbased with give you lots of sticky overspray.

The best finish with hvlp would be two pack acid cat from someone like morrells, not cheap though and rather toxic. I have used it on site but only when the clients are away due to fumes. It does however provide the fastest drying, flatest and most durable finish.

spraying inside units is difficult because of dry spray hitting the surfaces, you could do one face at atime and mask off but it is time consuming.

Hand painting can be significantly faster sometimes.

I have to admit I would doubt painting inside the units would ever work. Would you ever get the spray pattern right, i thought it has to dry quite quick and you need to be a short distance from your work. Will it not blast the paint outwards into the room?

Your good lady must be well pleased you plan to do this for her new kitchen :LOL:

Haha, thanks for the advice guys, I've decided it'll be too much of a b@stard to do, too much work, just gonna put a bit of vinyl on end panel to save hassle.

Thanks all the same for the info much appreciated

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back