Springs for doors

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a couple of doors one of them external which has a broken spring in the lock, I am trying to source new springs in order to repair them and have emailed several companies in the UK but none have replied. Can anyone give me any suggestions either how to source the springs or where I can purchase the metal and attempt to make them.
I do not know the make of the locks, probably mass produced.

Any help appreciated as I have been trying to get this sorted for over a year now.

thanks

Sponsored Links
You could try Ebay. Are the springs which you require, of the pattern shown in this Ebay posting, ie, item No 130109219753 ? Even if they are not, it looks to me as if this locksmithing Company could help you.

Sponsored Links
Here is the picture which I hope explains it enough, I done think the spring need to be the perfect dimensions.

llocks0004.jpg

To make your own spring, you would need to source some spring steel wire of the correct dia, in an annealed condition.
This would allow you to form it to shape.
Then you would have to get it hardened and tempered.
See if you can find a local steel stockist, and explain your requirements, they will need the wire dia.
You will then, if you manage to make it, need to find a Heat treatment company to harden and temper it.

Some tips............
If you go the above route, form the coils around a bar smaller than the dia you wish to end up with, as it will open up when you release it.
Use needle nose pliers to form the kinks.
Leave the ends of the wire long until you are happy with the shape.

If the above seems too complicated, use a company who will make the spring for you.
Once you have located someone, let them have the broken spring and the lock, and explain what you are after.

This company will make 1 off,s,

http://www.irvinesprings.com/torsion_springs.htm

But you will find plenty of spring companies that will make 1 or 2 for you.

Good luck.

Thanks for the link I have emailed them and hope they get back to me.
I will let you know what happens.
thanks

Does the lock have any markings on the faceplate to indicate a make ?. The key looks like a cruciform type, but I've not come across one on a sashlock!

How old is the lock ?. If the springs are starting to go, the other components may not be far behind, and it may be wise to think about replacing rather than repairing.

Just had a thought - does the picture form part of a longer mechanism? and is it operated by cylinders on either side of the lock with a tail piece that goes through the cross?

it does look very odd... I thought at first a cylinder-operated mortice sashlock, like an old Wellington, but the height, and use of zinc alloy parts makes me think plastic door with hooks on a long strip.

Can we see the whole lock case please? And the front too.

The bits round the latch movement remind me of an Imperial lock. I've seen Imperial cylinder-operated horizontal sashes in a secure establishment.

There is a Turkish company called Daf Kilit that makes cruciform mortice doorlocks, but it looks to me more like a cylinder.

I dont have a picture of the complete lock as its in the (wooden) door at the moment, from memory (I took the pics last year) there were no makers name on the case but there maybe markings of some kind.
The lock must be around 19 years old.
There is a longer mechanism attached to the lock that operate a type of hook at both the top and bottom of the door.
I am not sure if its a cylinder type lock but I have had reason to change `the barrel` once which comes in 2 parts one for each side of the lock, maybe around an inch long and the tailpieces go through the cross.
I remember at the time the builder saying they were `high` security locks.
I am still using the door/lock what happens is the door handle just flops down so obviously the broken spring must be used for the handle and the securing `hooks` It is the type of mechanism whereby the handle is held up to lock this engages the `hooks` at the top & bottom for locking.
I will try and at least get some picture of the lock in situ.

If it has a hook at top and bottom, it is probably very much like the style of lock fitted to PVC doors. If you can take the whole thing out again (sorry!) and get all dimensions, it is possible that one of the companies that supplies replacement lock packs will have something to fit.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back