Springy Floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all!

I have downstairs floor which is quite springy. ie when walked on it bounces the furniture a little and you can feel the give in it.
Is this term called deflexsion?
Anyway, how is it best resolved, its a wooden joisted floor with a void of about 8- 12" below.
I am currently doing work in the house so all flooring(carpets etc...) has been removed but floorboards are still in place, I do need to get under to do some plumbing and electrical work.
I was thinking of strengthing by putting in nogins between joist would this stop the spring?
Advice appreciated.

Sponsored Links
could be several things
undersized /wrongly spaced timbers
rotten timber
packing/support fallen out

have a look and see if theres any problems

cheers big-all, i'll be underneath sometime over the weekend to have a look, the rest of rooms are okay. Just this room about 3.5m x3.5m.
When I've looked I shall return with results of findings.

Sounds like M&S in Birmingham.

Stand at the centre of the span near the escalator void and you can feel the floor bounce as people walk past!

Sponsored Links
Build a few brick piers underneath and it'll be solid as a rock. Or you can use a length of timber underneath as a joist bearer.

My guess the wallplate is rotted depending on the age of the property

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back