Sprung a Leak

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a compression isolation valve fitted to plastic pipe to the shower using the correct inserts. Suddenly the hot water has spurted out of this joint. Fortunately I was at home and noticed that the boiler was heating up when it shouldn't be so not too much damage caused.

This joint has been made for about 4 months with not so much as a drip lost. Why should it suddenly fail?

And should I just nip it up? I'm cautious that I don't damage it by over tightening, or should I do something else?

Sponsored Links
When the joint failed did the pipe come out of the fitting?

When using compression fittings on plastic pipe you really need copper olives as they sqaush better on the pipe (as oppose to brass ones), ideally use Kutterlites or Conex fittings, they have a slightly deeper fitting depth.

And use the correct inserts for the pipe e.g don't mix Hep 20 with Speedfit.

No the pipe hasn't budged. Can't remember which inserts but they were the same manufacturer as the pipe.

So what should I do for the best now I have this problem?

Compression on plastic is a bit tricky; it can be done, but has to be just right. Best to redo it and pushfit the plastic to a bit of copper, and then use the compression fit on the copper pipe.
Or do away with the isolation valve, they are usually more hassle than help; very prone to leaking as soon as you turn them.

Sponsored Links
:evil: This has really annoyed me. Just now the cold water joint in exactly the same place has just sprung a leak with water hissing out.

Why on earth should both joints fail like this after 4 months with no problem?

Because they were done by the same plumber :idea: @ the same time

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back