Spur off 16a Radial

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey there,
Been googling for several hours now trying to find an answer to what should be a very simple question.
I have a Radial Circuit in my garage, connected to a 16a RCD at the Consumer Unit. Currently there are just a few double sockets spread around the garage.
Im looking to add a double socket over a different side of the garage. The easiest point to join the socket to the radial is halfway along it (nowhere near the end!), will a 30amp junction box suffice or should i connect a 13amp FCU for the spur?
Thanks in advance.
James

Sponsored Links
I have a Radial Circuit in my garage, connected to a 16a RCD at the Consumer Unit. Currently there are just a few double sockets spread around the garage. Im looking to add a double socket over a different side of the garage. The easiest point to join the socket to the radial is halfway along it (nowhere near the end!), will a 30amp junction box suffice or should i connect a 13amp FCU for the spur?
No problem - you can have as many 'branches' (and sub-branches) of a 16A radial circuit (they're not usually called 'spurs' with a radial) as you like - no need for an FCU. Does this circuit also serve lighting?

Someone will probably point out that any new sockets need to be RCD protected - so if the circuit is not RCD-protected, that needs to be addressed (either by RCD-protecting the circuit, or by installing an RCD socket), and that any new cables buried <50mm deep in a wall (unlikely in a garage!) also require RCD protection unless they are adequately mechanically protected.

Kind Regards, John

I have a Radial Circuit in my garage, connected to a 16a RCD at the Consumer Unit. Currently there are just a few double sockets spread around the garage. Im looking to add a double socket over a different side of the garage. The easiest point to join the socket to the radial is halfway along it (nowhere near the end!), will a 30amp junction box suffice or should i connect a 13amp FCU for the spur?
No problem - you can have as many 'branches' (and sub-branches) of a 16A radial circuit (they're not usually called 'spurs' with a radial) as you like - no need for an FCU. Does this circuit also serve lighting?

Someone will probably point out that any new sockets need to be RCD protected - so if the circuit is not RCD-protected, that needs to be addressed (either by RCD-protecting the circuit, or by installing an RCD socket), and that any new cables buried <50mm deep in a wall (unlikely in a garage!) also require RCD protection unless they are adequately mechanically protected.

Kind Regards, John
thanks for the quick reply.
The garage radial is already protected by the RCD. There is a light connected to the radial but has an FCU (3amp fuse i believe) before it so all should be correct there?
So just to be clear all i need to do is hook a junction box in the middle of the cable and create a branch from there?

Sponsored Links
thanks for the quick reply. ... The garage radial is already protected by the RCD. There is a light connected to the radial but has an FCU (3amp fuse i believe) before it so all should be correct there?
That's all fine.
So just to be clear all i need to do is hook a junction box in the middle of the cable and create a branch from there?
Yes, you could do that - although, as Andy has said, it would be slightly 'nicer' to run the cable from an existing socket or FCU, thereby avoiding the need for any junction boxes.

Kind Regards, John

Connect to the circuit where you say is easiest, but instead of using a JB put a socket there - might come in useful one day.

Am I smelling some more "initial" confusion?

I hope this radial circuit is protected by a fuse or MCB in addition to an RCD!

Am I smelling some more "initial" confusion? I hope this radial circuit is protected by a fuse or MCB in addition to an RCD!
I confess that I forget to check with the OP, but I assumed that the '16A RCD' he mentioned was actually a 16A MCB (or conceivably RCBO) - he'd be very hard pressed to find a '16A RCD'!!

Kind FRegards, John

cheers for the responses guys, John you are correct i meant a 16A MCB.
Sounds like the best way is to avoid using a junction box so ill do just that.
thanks again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back