Spur off cooker switch .

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am carrying out some alterations in my kitchen . I'm thinking of running in a new cable for my cooker switch 6mm Twin and Earth . My question is , is it possible to have a double socket as a spur off the cooker switch , the double socket will be used for the microwave and a toaster .

Thanks

Sponsored Links
2000tdi said:
I am carrying out some alterations in my kitchen . I'm thinking of running in a new cable for my cooker switch 6mm Twin and Earth . My question is , is it possible to have a double socket as a spur off the cooker switch , the double socket will be used for the microwave and a toaster .

Thanks
isn't there another socket anywhere nearby that you could use? :eek:

Its not recommended to have sockets on a cooker circuit. even cooker socket/switch combo's are becoming unpopular these days, with the requirement to RCD protect sockets that could reasonably provide power outdoors (basically the entire ground floor).

No socket nearby Unfortunately .
The reason for altering the electrics in the kitchen is that the Cooker/combo socket also feeds the cooker hood which is fed direct from the cooker socket ( no FCU ) . The cooker socket also feeds a double socket below the worktop which is used for the washing machine . The cooker socket also has a 1m extension cable plugged in to power the Microwave and toaster . Oh and the cooker socket is located above the Gas hob . So not good .

My intention is to buy a new cooker switch and move it away from the Gas hob , this probably meaning running in a new cable from the consumer unit .
Then running a new 2.5mm radial to the double socket for the washing machine with a FCU above the worktop , then that FCU will be in a double box feeding another FCU which will supply the Cooker Hood via a flex outlet box .

My problem is , is that I need another Double socket above the worktop to supply the Microwave and toaster .

Any ideas would be a help ,I have been told to break into the Main ring above the celing and to use a junction box , but I have also read that this is not recommended .

Thanks

Use the ring method, make sure the location of the junction box is identified and accessible (your discretion as to what accessible is!) or crimp the connections then they dont need to be accessible according to the regs.

Sponsored Links
2000tdi said:
My intention is to buy a new cooker switch and move it away from the Gas hob , this probably meaning running in a new cable from the consumer unit .
Then running a new 2.5mm radial to the double socket for the washing machine with a FCU above the worktop , then that FCU will be in a double box feeding another FCU which will supply the Cooker Hood via a flex outlet box.

If you're running all these cables from the CU, you can lay one in for the mic/toaster??

I wouldn't wire it this way myself as you could quite feasibly pull 26A on a twin socket which is pushing a bit for a 2.5

Good point really , the socket for the washing machine needn't be a double , but just use a single , as that the socket your referring to .

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back