Spurring to make an additional socket

Sponsored Links
Thanks for that. Just a query, what is the actual reason I need to fit one of these and not just use a standard SFCU?

Cannot make the Screwfix links work at the moment. Very odd.

But if you go to Screwfix and search for "RCD fused spur" you will find Powerbreaker and BG ones in white.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Okay there has been a development. I have crawled under the floor to check out the wiring and found that the wiring coming from the old switch (switch with red light), is connected to a single socket with flex outlet and is just sitting under the floor. This was used to switch the old electric fire on/off. I have disconnected it and pulled it up back through to the living room and it reaches to where I would like my new socket. Could I connect my new socket to this? Decided I only need one double socket now.

Okay thanks. The fuse in my fusebox for that switch is 15A. Is that okay too? Also, the existing switch, is it okay as it is or should I swap it for an SFCU/FCU?

Just do it.

The regulations state that new sockets should be covered by an RCD but they are not law and there is little point a socket hidden in a false chimney being the only socket in your house on an RCD.

Just do it.

Okay there has been a development. I have crawled under the floor to check out the wiring and found that the wiring coming from the old switch (switch with red light), is connected to a single socket with flex outlet and is just sitting under the floor. This was used to switch the old electric fire on/off. I have disconnected it and pulled it up back through to the living room and it reaches to where I would like my new socket. Could I connect my new socket to this? Decided I only need one double socket now.

LOL I thought you might find that.

Should have looked weeks ago . Anyway Ive run the cable up behind the TV and wired up the new socket. Works perfect. Now I can actually plasterboard and finish this project. Thanks for all the help

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back