Spurs, left, right and centre!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Had a few hours spare so thought I'd make a start on adding a few sockets to the room. Opened the two double sockets up and looked promising with two sets of cables. However I wanted to double check they were from the ring main.

Got the trusty fluke tester and it was giving me not only continuity on both the lives and neutral but between the N and L too! didn't sound good! went to to the other socket and tested, no continuity at all, went back to the other socket and now no continuity, something clicked... A spur off a spur? Went to the next closest socket (second room) and as suspected 3 cables with two giving continuity and the other which looked like it fed the spur. so not sure where the other spur is going to from the other socket. Well not sure how long ago the house was wired but I understand this practice was allowed at some point?

Anyway my question would be how best to solve this mess? Find the ring main then junction box (amperage?) and run the spurs off that?

Cheers!

Sponsored Links
Yeah made sure everything was unplugged in that ring. Actually everywhere to make sure. Although never got any continuity when I took the other socket apart which led me to believe it was a spur off that spur.

Any further input on this before the thread dies a death?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
I don't think you've got the skills and knowledge needed. Sorry. you need to gain these before you start, not learning by trial and error.

Have a look at some DIY electrical books, like "The Which? Book of Wiring and Lighting" which is good for simple work and see if you understand what is going on.

I think you have most likely got a ring which you can identify by looking and testing inside the CU, if you are safe to do it. If you have an old brown or cream Wylex, the incoming supply screws and terminals at the top of the main switch may be live even when switched off, so top up your life insurance and arrange cover for your dependents.

I'd suggest finding the route of your cables. Usually they will be under the floor and you can trace them by lifting some boards. Some bungalows run above the ceiling and drop down to outlets. Taking off socket faceplates will give you some good clues. If you find a socket with three cables, most likely (not always) two are the ring and will have continuity on both reds, both blacks, and both G&Ys, the spur will not (except possibly on the G&Ys if there are parallel paths e.g. through Supplementary Bonding. If you disconnect the spur you can test to see what outlets are now dead. Never leave exposed wires. Terminate them neatly in a choc-block and put it in a choc-box to prevent accidental contact.

When reaching under floors be aware that some previous dummy may not have been so sensible and you might touch something live.

Avoid using Junction boxes especially where they will not be seen (e.g. under floors)

You also need to buy yourself some insulated (VDE) screwdrivers (red and yellow handles) and a basic multimeter (£10 or less in the High Street). get some G&Y and red sheathing as well as you will probably find places where it is missing as you look round.

If you think you will need to join wires buy a pair of ratchet crimpers for £20 or more (the cheap ones are no good, especially Silverline) and learn how to use them, and some heat-shrink sleeving, and learn when to use it.

If you post some pics of your consumer unit, your incoming supply, meter, main fuse and the wires around and between them, especially the G&Y ones, and inside one or more sample sockets, we can form an opinion of your existing installation. if you are doing any electrical upgrades you should start with the main Bonding and Supplementary Bonding which is an easy DIY job and not notifiable. Don't do any work in kitchen or bathroom.

Never work on live circuits, and learn how to test for dead, including how to verify that your tester is working correctly.

p.s. if you have a neon screwdriver, throw it away now.

Thanks for the reply very clear and precise. Well I got some lighting and wiring books that I am referring to but hopefully i will be enrolling in the 2330 so learning bits here and there where I can until then. I like to think i have a very basic understanding of lighting and wiring circuits but in the real world its just not the same.

I've got a fluke tester T50 and a decent set of VDE screwdrivers(draper expert) I got a cheap multmeter too, my neon scredriver is serving me well... as a door stop! :LOL: I'm starting to build a nice artillery. The way I see it is if I get myself more familiar with electrics the course will hopefully make more sense to me rather than go head first and getting confused!

The one socket I opened up I'm pretty sure I got one socket which was on the ring main, but will see if I can get some pics of the CU up an see what we can do from there.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back