Spurs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I was wondering if it was allowable to take a spur from a double socket to power another double socket or if you can only use it to power a single socket. I know you can only have one spur but not sure if there is a limitation on what it powers. The new double socket would be used to power my washing machine and dishwasher.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Trevor

Sponsored Links
Spur can feed a double socket or a single socket, as long as it only feeds one accessory, doesn't matter whether its single or double, because both are rated at 13A total, which brings us to the next point, both washing machines and dishwashers are heavy loads and they shouldn't both be on a double socket together

Oh and are these appliances in the kitchen?... additional sockets in the kitchen are notifiable to you local building control department, btw

Adam_151 said:
Spur can feed a double socket or a single socket, as long as it only feeds one accessory, doesn't matter whether its single or double, because both are rated at 13A total, which brings us to the next point, both washing machines and dishwashers are heavy loads and they shouldn't both be on a double socket together
How about 2 single socket together :idea: Is this the way round it :?:

Yes, but clearly you can't spur both of them from the same place, so you'd have to put them both on the ring, or spur them from separate sockets

Sponsored Links
thanks Adam...the double socket was actually there already....i just moved it but it was only supplying the washing machine and a light last time so guess i need to have a rethink!

cheers
Trevor

a cunning trick is to remove a double socket and insert a dual box. In this you can put two single outlets which are part of the ring, and you can take a spur off each.

Better still, with two single outlets you can enlarge the ring, running off from the left hand one, adding sockets as you go, then returning to the right hand one. This is quite a handy method in a workshop, garage or utility room, where there is only one socket, fed from a loop down from the ceiling or up from a solid floor. It is particularly suitable where you are putting a row of sockets at bench or worktop height along the walls.

Adam_151 said:

Yes, but clearly you can't spur both of them from the same place, so you'd have to put them both on the ring, or spur them from separate sockets
Thanks, I'm still learning, is it because of the short cable spur between the 2 sockets together :?:

Or is it because the spur 2.5mm is rated at approx 24 amps :?:

If the 2.5mm was rated at 26 amps then I assume it wouldn't be a problem connecting to the 2 single sockets :?:

JohnD said:
a cunning trick is to remove a double socket and insert a dual box. In this you can put two single outlets which are part of the ring, and you can take a spur off each.

Better still, with two single outlets you can enlarge the ring, running off from the left hand one, adding sockets as you go, then returning to the right hand one. This is quite a handy method in a workshop, garage or utility room, where there is only one socket, fed from a loop down from the ceiling or up from a solid floor. It is particularly suitable where you are putting a row of sockets at bench or worktop height along the walls.

Sorry to disagree with you John but this is not a handy method to use.
This could too easily lead to a broken ring. When testing continuity of the RFC the 'existing sockets would all give the expected readings. However, if the spark didn't know about the extension these sockets would not be tested. If there was a break in the ring you would then have 2 radials from the position of the current double SO.

Adam_151 said:

Oh and are these appliances in the kitchen?... additional sockets in the kitchen are notifiable to you local building control department, btw

Adam.
Where did you see that you can only have a single SO spurred from a double? Also, why not have the 2 appliances on a double SO.

newspark_paul said:
... If there was a break in the ring you would then have 2 radials from the position of the current double SO.

hmmm, but you don't have a double any more (as you indicate, that wouldn't be right), you've replaced it with two singles, and they are not connected directly, but through the new loop which starts at the left-hand single and returns to the right-hand single. So a break would give loss of continuity in the ring final.

JohnD said:
newspark_paul said:
... If there was a break in the ring you would then have 2 radials from the position of the current double SO.

hmmm, but you don't have a double any more (as you indicate, that wouldn't be right), you've replaced it with two singles, and they are not connected directly, but through the new loop which starts at the left-hand single and returns to the right-hand single. So a break would give loss of continuity in the ring final.

I stand corrected John. Misread the post as being a ring from the double.
Question is what's the customer after? The question just reads can he spur a double from a double. The answer is yes, but if he's after adding more sockets, may be better adding a radial to the kitchen (if he has a spare way.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back