sqeaky stairs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
:rolleyes: hi all can anyone help we are ready to put our stair carpet down how do we stop the badly sqweaking stairs.

regards Chrissy

Sponsored Links
Approx 25mm x 25mm timber to the width of your staircase screw & glue underneath into the top corner of the thread and riser.Also make sure the wedge strip which hold up the the thread and riser on the side are not loose,if so take out & re-glue etc.If it still making a noise you can put in a plywood to the full size of the thread and screw it + glue under the thread,the noise should stop when the glue dry.If it out of sight you can use support timber to the floor for extra support.Basically glue any wood joint in which way you can !

I think you mean "tread" rather than "thread"?

I've never been able to get glued wedges out without destroying them. In some cases however, nearly all the squeaking seems to come from the wedge. If you put a row of 3 fat countersunk screws through the wedge it will expand it and stop the squeak.

Thanks for that guys will pass this one over to hubby too do too complicated for me to do lol. dumb chics eh.

regards Chrissy. :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
ChrisR said:
I think you mean "tread" rather than "thread"?

:oops: Try reading this.

aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at an elingsh uinervtisy,it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are,the olny iprmoetnt tihng is that the frist and lsat ltteers is at the rghit pclae,the rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm.Tihs is bcuseae wo do not raed ervey by it slef but the wrod as a wlohe.

Who need spellcheck :!:

Am I let off tehn ? :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Let off?? Absolutely not. You put an extra letter in and made a new (wrong) word!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back