hard glue on stairs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i have got this hard yellowish glue on the stairs, i dont know how to remove it.... itwas under the carpets that i took up....can anyone help this damsel in DIY distress x

Sponsored Links
In the first instance I would try and scrape off the high spots and then sand it down starting with a med/coarse grit and moving onto a fine grit to finish with.

A belt sander would be the quickest option with a detail sander being used into the corners.

What finish are you trying to acheive, painted or stained ?

It is hard to tell if the glue has stained the wood, I suggest that you try a small patch to see if all the glue will come away.

Bear in mind that the glue will be harder than the wood so be careful when sanding. It is easy to sand big dips into the wood with a belt sander, practice on some scrap before you attack your stairs.

You can hire belt sanders or explore buying a cheapie from one of the sheds.

Sponsored Links
i have tried to scrap it and it just wont budge.... even tried sugar soap to loosen it up... didnt move it at all.... What is the stuff????
i am wanting to paint the upward boards and have the wood on the treds, if this makes sense.... its my first house and i dont have a clue.... would a resin remover work????

so if i buy the ahesive remove, the contact adhesive remover and the paint stripper.... and use all three i cant go wrong..... thanks guys for all your help.... im sure i will be back with more questions.... i got a whole house to do yet.....

give it a try but i reckon your best bet is a sharp 22 chisel followed by agood sanding.
good luck you have many hours of work getting the tread back to decent bare wood and if they are victorain/georgian then i doubt you ever will.

thanks for that... i have tried sanding but its not working on the glue and there are hundreds of nails... its is a really old house... it must of been down for years.... doubt that i will get it off.... think i wont have a choice but to carpet it again!!!!!! NOT HAPPY!!!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back