Squaring up Old Partition Wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, what is the best way to level/square up an old wall frame? I have removed the lath and plaster from 2 walls and plan to replace it with Marmox backer board, however the existing timbers are not very flat across the width of the wall. I plan to screw cls to the sides of these but was wondering if this is the best method.
Cheers,
Stu.

Sponsored Links
2 x 1 slate batten fixed (screwed) at right angles (i.e. horizontally) to the studs at something like 400mm centres. Check the end of wall wall for plumb with a plumb line, 6ft level or laser level and pack out the laths until they run plumb from top to bottom. At each batten end then fix (screw) a short offcut of 2 x 1 slate batten, run a string line across between these two blocks, pulled taught over the blocks. Cut another piece of 2 x 1 slate batten a few inches long and run that along each batten in turn (this is a traveller). It should touch the batten and the string at all times. If it doesn't then pack up between the batten and the original studs where there is a gap. If there are any high points more than a couple of mm it may be necessary to pack out the batten at each stud by a little extra (in which case adjust the ends for plumb again). Repeat for each batten in turn. It's a bit painstaking but it works

respect j k ,what a pukka way of sorting out an old stud wall that's the old school proper way of leveling ,these skills are getting lost

Does that mean I'm now officially an old fart? :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back