squeaking stairs driving me mad

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Morning folks,
Having a stair carpet installed on Friday so having to work fast to cure this: - My stairs creak like mad in certian places, there aren't any obvious gaps where I can hammer in some wedges to try to brace it, and I've already tried putting screws into the stair "top" (the bit that you stand on) that go down into the vertical bit of the stair but no joy dealing with it.

Any suggstions where I cna go now with it?? Should I consider putting wedges into the stairs where the flat bit meets the upwards bit?? Or is there anything I can buy / make that would do the job instead of wedges as the stairs are a pretty snug fit

All advice appreciated as I'm getting asked by my better half to sort this one pronto :eek:

Sponsored Links
I had the same problem. As you are having a new carpet fitted makes this much easier: get yourself a tube or two of 'no more nails' from a builders merchant and squirt it into the joints where the step meets the riser. Wipe off any excess with a damp rag. Do this on each step and give it a few hours to go off and it should be squeak free. ;)

Assuming you cant get into the staircase from behind then your options are limited.
You could do what i did as the "glue"on its own didnt work, On the back of the tread approx 15mm from the start of the riser pre-drill three or four holes along the length of the tread at equidistant intervals and at a 30 degree angle, now open up the gap should it be loose and splash loads of wood glue, next, drive a wood screw into each hole, this which will pull the riser into the tread, i did this 8 months ago and everything is still quiet.

Sponsored Links
Assuming you cant get into the staircase from behind then your options are limited.
You could do what i did as the "glue"on its own didnt work, On the back of the tread approx 15mm from the start of the riser pre-drill three or four holes along the length of the tread at equidistant intervals and at a 30 degree angle, now open up the gap should it be loose and splash loads of wood glue, next, drive a wood screw into each hole, this which will pull the riser into the tread, i did this 8 months ago and everything is still quiet.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back