squealing micra

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My daughters micra squeals when it is put onto full lock even when the car is stationary. It sounds like metal to metal contact but as I say the car isn't moving. As you let go of the steering wheel it stops as the wheel relaxes back but as you pull it back to full lock it starts again. Any suggestions anyone.
Thanks

Sponsored Links
If it has a mechanical power steering pump belt check the belt tension.

Peter

quite alot of cars with mechanical power steering pumps on squeal on full lock, as the pump is stalled and the fluid has no where to go. Pressure bypass systems are found in most modern power steering systems, i dont know if your daughters Micra does or not.

As said already the belt could be slipping.

There is no real need to turn the wheel until it is 'hitting the stops' and causing the squeal as your not getting any extra wheel movement which will help turning. Just back of a little if it is being caused by pump stall.

Sponsored Links
I have had a look at the belt and it looks to be in need of replacing it is full of cracks
.Since I posted this query I spoke to an car engineer and he said the same as yourselves so will replace it as soon as I am able.
Thank you bhm1712 and Peter N

Back