Squeking and pinging chipboard floors..

had a quick look at there web site. I would look at something else myself. The planks are to long to work with in a domestic home. Fair enougth in a big area. Also with wide planks they tend to cup/crown and gap unless well aclimatized and then temperature and humidity levels in the home are kept almost spot on to when product was milled. This is hard to keep spot on with out some sort of humidity control.Think they try to sell product to a diyer or someone with there own fitter. Guess this is why there fitting charge is so high to scare you off them doing it! Covers there back when it starts moving. You should be paying around 20-30 quid meter to install this plus any materials on top. Your paying well over the ods there.

Sponsored Links
mattysupra said:
had a quick look at there web site. I would look at something else myself.

Oh, I wasn't thinking of buying it, Matty. It was just their guarantee to sort out the sub-floor that caught my interest. They have a whole section on sub-floors:

>>>A wood flooring contractor’s responsibility is not only a matter of professionally fitting the hard or softwood floor to comply with best practice, but also to ensure that other trades have correctly prepared the sub-floor and premises prior to work commencing. The sub-floor, being the foundation of the wood floor, should not be compromised.<<<

There follows a long spiel about sub-floor tolerances, which I won't quote but is certainly enough to scare off even the most confident diyer. As you say, the floors probably work best in a commercial environment.

had another look at what they say and it is correct. The subfloor info is correct for almost all floors you install. Every job i do is to this standard. And wood you like will also work to these standards. Am i right woody? In fact if you go to any reliable small retailer ( and there is not many) they will work to this standard.

Sorry to butt in guys. I've been on the John Lewis website but cannot find the spiel about sub floor tolerances. could you let me know how to get to it please. Thanks

Sponsored Links
nick put a link in his post. 3rd one from bottom on 1st page. and it not john lewis link. some thing else

mattysupra said:
had another look at what they say and it is correct. The subfloor info is correct for almost all floors you install. Every job i do is to this standard. And wood you like will also work to these standards. Am i right woody? In fact if you go to any reliable small retailer ( and there is not many) they will work to this standard.

Absolutely Matty. As soon as we install a flroo on any kind of subfloor it is our liability, hence we check up front and if in any doubt about levelness or moist contents or any other issue we discuss with the customer BEFORE we even start the works (i.e. with moist problem, we don't deliver the wood on site until it is sorted).
We're not the cheapest, we are passionate about quality and value for money (and so are most of our customers ;))

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back