stable roofing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ive been offered the chance of some decent storage space by my local farmer. the deal is i reroof an old stable block and i can have part of it rent free for a period, while he rents the other part out. its a simple single skin blockwork construction, about 15 metres long by 3 meters wide. Only trouble is its sitting on top of a hill adjacent a very busy road, about a mile from the coast and smack in line with the prevailing winds. i say only trouble as he said the last roof blew off and ended up on the road. He used corrugated tin and i dont think he made a decent job of it. my intention is as follows:-

timber wall plates strapped to the blockwork
timber joists fixed to wall plate and blockwork with long joist hangers
metal box profile roof sheeting screwed to timber frame
metal edge capping all way round to prevent wind getting under roof between blockwork and roof.

Anyone goy any other decent ideas?

Sponsored Links
I'm told that a "pyramid" shaped roof is more resitant to winds as it has no "ends" for the wind to get under like a simple pitched roof. This was in a hurricane area :)

sorry forgot to mention its not a pitched roof, just a simple flat roof with about a 10 degree pitch

Sponsored Links
you`d be better off in a Nissen hut over on the marshes ..used to be a RAF station there ;)

If the back wall`s to the wind it`ll be better than the door facing the wind because once it gets into a building ....it`ll lift any roof off :eek: remember `87 and 89 :?:

how could i forget. back wall is to the wind, ive had another look at it today and he did a pretty shabby job of the roof, so i think a decent job should sort it.

as you are fixing metal sheets you are better setting up a purlin arrangement. set the rafters first but then at right angles, fix some horizontal beams to fix the sheets to.

maybe set fewer but thicker section rafters and some angle steel set as purlins to fix the sheets to. you could then use proper self drilling and self sealing screws.

Self_Drilling_Screws.jpg

cheers noseall and the rest. i figured what ever i use it will be well fixed, as per the manufactureres istructions plus a bit more on top.

Thermo said:
timber wall plates strapped to the blockwork
I always use tie-in bracket from the roof joists as well as the wallplate, I've seen flat roof blown off while the wallplate still on the blockwork!

Another idea, you could fit a couple roof vents on top to allow the wind to blow through plus reduce condensation

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back