Stain? Varnish? How To Achieve This Look??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I purchased a large piece of wood (not sure what type) from a reclamation yard. I have sanded it down and want to treat it in order to get the look of the picture at the top of this page: http://www.wood-database.com/wood-articles/wood-identification-guide/

I want to get this shiny finish and darken and really bring out the natural grain in the wood.

I have stained wood in the past, but it seems to completely dominate the wood and not bring out the natural grain.

Any suggestions or links to tutorials would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Chris

Sponsored Links
Helps to know what timber you have, you can dye using wood dye to darken and then apply danish oil and then wax either neutral or a coloured wax depending on colour required and unless you have a buffing machine lots of elbow grease.

Thanks for your reply, I have attached images of the timber, I have no idea how to identify!

I have a spare length so will test out what you suggested.

Where I have sanded it down there are still some darker patches that are hard to remove completely, do you know if this will make a difference after staining/waxing?

(//www.diynot.com/network/mccooluk/albums/)

Thanks again

Chris

Sponsored Links
This looks like a piece of zebrano used on merc dash boards Its probably very expensive ,A good way to get these type of finishes is to do a paint effect and varnish over

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back