Staining and/or varnish for doors.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm looking to create a fairly good approximation of Black Walnut for about a dozen internal, glazed doors. Can't afford real walnut so I'm having some made in a, decent quality, clear pine. My thinking is to mix a little black with an off the shelf walnut stain, 2 coats, and then acrylic (maybe aerosol?) varnish.

What are peoples thoughts on the method, perhaps there is a decent American Black Walnut stain or, all-in-one finish on the market. As I have 12 to do I would appreciate a reduction in the coats required!

TIA

Symo

Sponsored Links
My thinking is to mix a little black with an off the shelf walnut stain, 2 coats, and then acrylic (maybe aerosol?) varnish.

Your going to turn that into a right cocktail of paints...stick to one system or the doors may end up wrecked.

You can cut down the number of coats required if you like and slap on a couple of coats of sadolin...but they will look rotton!!

Your having decent doors made, the least you can do is spend some time making them look nice.

I normally do the following to bare wood.

Get some wood dye (not stain) add to it some clear varnish...not to much say about a 1/4....this will stop the dye vanishing into the wood to quick and give you more time to apply it evenly...it will also raise the grain slightly so you can sand it flatter.

Apply with a brush then wipe a lintless rag over it to get rid of the brush marks.

Then sand down....always in the direction of the grain.

Then a couple of coats of clear varnish...id go for eggshell, it looks like the finish of wax....not satin, people will tell you that the two varnishes are the same...their not.

Sand between each coat with fine wet and dry paper or cabinet paper.

Thanks Zampa. Useful info on technique there.

What I meant by adding black to the Walnut was to add Ebony stain to walnut stain from the same range.
The problem I'm finding is that the Walnut stains are too red for my liking. I'm looking for a Black Walnut finish and can't seem to find one off the shelf, hence the cocktail.

Cheers

Symo

I was hoping you meant ebony actually...but black may send the stain a weird colour...look at other very dark stains instead.

Maybe a dark oak or something similar.

Sponsored Links
As Zampa said, a dark oak might be what you're after.
My parents have dark stained wood in their house that sounds similar to what you're after Symo. The stain they used was "Jacobean dark oak".
Cheers,
Gcol

Thanks gcol. I'll get a small pot of the dark oak and give it a try.

I guess this is one of those trial and error things when it comes to the colour.

Cheers

Symo

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back