Staining around plug socket on chimney breast

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I just notice some staining around this plug socket.
- No signs of water damage above or below
- Socket is on chimney breast. Fireplace to the left, build in wardrobe to the right.
- Chimney is shared with neighbour
- Bedroom is on middle floor
- No plumbing in this area

Any ideas how this happened?

Thanks,
Big Matt

IMG_4021.jpeg

Sponsored Links
Have you taken it off and looked behind (Turn elec off first).

What sort of building is it, flat, house? When my brother had a flat, the Muppet in flat above closed a towel in his washing machine door and caused a leak through brother's ceiling. Water also came down the electrical conduits buried in walls and out a couple of sockets above his kitchen work surface. Maybe something similar happened here in the past.

Sponsored Links
What sort of building is it, flat, house? When my brother had a flat, the Muppet in flat above closed a towel in his washing machine door and caused a leak through brother's ceiling. Water also came down the electrical conduits buried in walls and out a couple of sockets above his kitchen work surface. Maybe something similar happened here in the past.
Period house circa 1910.
The neighbours have a bedroom on the other side of the wall.

Scrape the paint to see if the plaster is damp inside and outside the stain.

The socket was obviously put into an old wall so the colour could be caused by different layers of paint or filler. The stain shape is consistent with new filler.

Water tends to run downwards

Damp in chimney has picked up soot and caused staining at easiest escape route.

OP,
Possibly as above ref damp attracting hygroscopic contamination from a sooty flue?
Larger, bigger context pics of the whole chimney breast might help?
Have the flues been swept?
Are any fireplaces blocked off?
Have you been in the loft to investigate?

Contamination from the flue would have to travel quite a long way through brick or plaster to get to the socket. I don't see other stains suggesting that.

I suppose it is possible that somebody drilled from inside the fireplace to the socket box, perhaps for an electric fire, but it doesn't seem a likely explanation.

It does not have the colour of a soot stain.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back