Staining one side of fence - bleed through?

C

Coniferman

Next door replaced our dividing fence - with the lovely orange coloured panels - do people like this orange!?!? :confused: anyway they are happy for me to stain my side which I would like to do in a dark brown colour to match the rest of my garden. They did not mention whether they are planning to treat their side.

The question is whether the stain is likely to bleed or drip through to the otherside or is this not likely to be an issue? How careful do I need to be to avoid this? I'm thinking Cuprinol, brushed on.

Sponsored Links
Is it a sort of lapped fence, or vertical boards?

The vertical close-boards (more expensive) need not show much on the other side, but the horizontal ones will always run through, if you are applying it on the side where you can see the tops of the laps, but not (much) if you can see the bottoms.

When you treat the top rail, it is almost certain to drip onto both sides.

Easiest thing is to treat both sides with the same colour. Personally, I like dark brown. If it has concrete posts and gravel boards you can use masonry paint to make them blend in (I have a pic :)

Drips from the darker side will always show on the paler side.

It is lapped (horizonatally) and I have the tops of the laps on my side.

Would I get away with it if I took my time and don't slap on too much stain on the brush?

I realise I would have to leave the top rail.

Coniferman said:
Would I get away with it

Nope :LOL:

Offer to buy the stain for your neighbours when you buy your own.

Sponsored Links
Surely if the OP sprayed it instead of brush applied it it'd be ok? Rem to get everyone to park miles away! :D

breezer said:
i can vouch for if brushed it does run through.

Yep, just had a close look at the panels and to be honest they don't look good quality. The laps hardly even "overlap" and already it looks like they do not fit closely together.

I had some decent panels fitted to other sides of my garden and didn't have any problems with run through but the laps overlap considerably more and still fit close and tight a few years on.

Oh well, I think the orange is supposed to fade fairly quickly is it not :rolleyes:

To be fair - I think they are moving soon and just wanted a quick cheap job done. They used the existing wooden posts, fitted one panel upside down (no protection on the top) and twisted another panel to suit the ground gradient!

I don't think it will be too long before the new owners have to do a proper job so I'll save my time/money with the stain for now.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back