Staining/waxing wooden furniture

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have bought a tv cabinet which is called a dark fumed oak colour. I've got a solid oak coffee table that I wanted to keep so wondered if I sand it down, how easy would it be to try and stain/wax it to get a near as possible match? The picture shows the colour I want to achieve. Its a greyish brown colour. Are there any products anyone would recommend or things to avoid?

Attachments

• IMG20230209144123.jpg
    IMG20230209144123.jpg
    419.1 KB · Views: 31
Sponsored Links
We have bought a tv cabinet which is called a dark fumed oak colour. I've got a solid oak coffee table that I wanted to keep so wondered if I sand it down, how easy would it be to try and stain/wax it to get a near as possible match? The picture shows the colour I want to achieve. Its a greyish brown colour. Are there any products anyone would recommend or things to avoid?

I believe that fumed oak is exposed to ammonia. Not sure how the process works though.

Ideally you would use a random orbital sander connected to a dust extractor (read: vacuum cleaner). Make sure that you have removed all of the existing finish though. I would start with 80-100 grit paper and finish with 180-220 Grit paper to ensure that there aren't any sanding scratches.

With regards to stains/ stained wax, I would recommend talking to Smith and Rodgers

I have found them to be very helpful in the past. If you take advice from them, please purchase the recommended products from them and not use Ebay to save a couple of quid. If everyone did that, firms like Smith and Roger would be less inclined to offer advice over the phone.

Best of luck.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back