Stainless bottle trap pipe is smaller than 1.25" fittin

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a stainless bottle trap on a smaller WC sink but 2 yr ago when I fitted it I had to wrap lots of insulation tape around the horizontal pipe going from trap into standard plastic fittings behind stud wall. Over time, the tape had slipped, presumably due to warm water flow (?) and it literally came off! Luckily not too much damage as the smell gave it away! Is this just an ill-fitting trap or maybe continental size or something? Is there an adapter to join the parts?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
You would really have to measure the size of pipe and compare to the size of fitting behind the wall. What type of fitting is behind the wall, guessing at a 90 deg elbow? Is it push fit/compression? Not the first time I've seen a 35mm chrome outlet pipe being fitted into a 40mm fitting .
If it's a 35mm pipe and 40mm compression fitting then one of these could be used - http://www.wickes.co.uk/42mm-x-35mm-reducer-rseal-42x35/invt/227087/
Worst case is that you have to buy a guaranteed 32mm chrome waste, pipe and elbow.

If it's a 35mm pipe and 40mm compression fitting

... hi, it appears to be a 30mm stainless pipe, fitting into a 32mm 90º push fit elbow. This is why I thought a few wraps of insulation tape would pad out the 2mm, and worked... for a while! :(

Never come across a 30mm steel pipe and I should have read the title...DOH.. :oops:

Ok, your problem is that it's a push fit as there's no way to take up the gap between the seal in the fitting and the pipe. Is there any way to replace the fitting for a compression one?
If not the only other way I could think you could make this fit is get a small piece of 32mm waste pipe and see if it will fit over the stainless pipe, should do as their ID is usually just over 30mm. If that fits then cut a piece just long enough to go into the fitting and glue it onto the steel pipe. Use an epoxy resin like Araldite and roughen up the steel pipe where it will be glued.

Sponsored Links
get a small piece of 32mm waste pipe and see if it will fit over the stainless pipe

Sounds like my best option, as no way of getting to the fitting, thanks, will give it a go...

It is probably chrome plated, not SS.

I have come across quite a few chrome bottle traps where the outlet pipe is 'undersized'.

Universal compression CP on plastic fittings should fit and are available in chrome plated finish.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back