Stainless pipes potential for leaks going from gravity to combi

Hmm, an online boiler supplier that I just got some quick quotes from has told me that fitting a boiler to stainless steel (heating) pipework is against Gas Safe regs, and that it must all be replaced by copper. I'm struggling to understand this as I can't find any ref to mandating copper vs stainless pipework in the 1998 regs or Building regs Doc J.
I wouldn't go pressurised, there are pros and cons of pressurised vs F/E tank if choosing for a new installation, but there'll already be F/E tank in the loft. I wouldn't go combi either, why not put in a heat-only boiler and modernise the layout and controls.

Sponsored Links
Intergas will do heat only and non pressure / f+e

Ask him what regulation.
What has water carrying pipe got to do with Gas Safety Regulations.

You can call Gas Safe and ask them. Will not cost you anything
0800 408 5577

Sponsored Links
The reason for leaning towards a combi is:

- current HW flow rate from cylinder is poor with the bathroom being only down from the cold cistern in the loft
- useful to have the bathroom tap serving up mains rather than pigeon water from a cistern
- cylinder taking up lots of space that could be used for a shower cubicle
- seems wasteful to keep heating a whole cylinder of HW for a single person

Pardon my ignorance but what's the diff between "heat only and non-pressure / f+e" and Open Vent ?

(I've got a IG Xclusiv combi which has been a great successor to my old WB Highflow 400 which, though it had excellent HW flow, went v unreliable near the end)

The reason for leaning towards a combi is:

- current HW flow rate from cylinder is poor with the bathroom being only down from the cold cistern in the loft
- useful to have the bathroom tap serving up mains rather than pigeon water from a cistern
- cylinder taking up lots of space that could be used for a shower cubicle
- seems wasteful to keep heating a whole cylinder of HW for a single person

Pardon my ignorance but what's the diff between "heat only and non-pressure / f+e" and Open Vent ?

(I've got a IG Xclusiv combi which has been a great successor to my old WB Highflow 400 which, though it had excellent HW flow, went v unreliable near the end)
It's to do with whether the system is pressurised or whether you have a small header cistern in the loft.

You can't run the Xclusive open vent

Book your mum into a hotel for a couple of days whilst the work is done. Make sure its a nice one and she’ll love you forever, well she is your mum!

I wouldn't go pressurised, there are pros and cons of pressurised vs F/E tank if choosing for a new installation, but there'll already be F/E tank in the loft. I wouldn't go combi either, why not put in a heat-only boiler and modernise the layout and controls.

There is absolutely no reason not to fit a combi if that is your want. OP might want to utilise the space that would be better used. As far as controls are concerned, why should combi be the boiler that misses on controllability. I have a combi that is controlled to a high degree.

Have done it several times to system that was ancient and recently to a system that has SS plumbing.

Did that to system that was plumbed with truewld pipe also that went from OV to sealed system. In fact Ian did a pcb change on the boiler during lockdown.

There is absolutely no reason not to fit a combi if that is your want. OP might want to utilise the space that would be better used. As far as controls are concerned, why should combi be the boiler that misses on controllability. I have a combi that is controlled to a high degree.
I quite agree, as long as he has considered the pros and cons of each option.
I wasn't suggesting a combi is less controllable, I just meant that for a system 27 years old, possibly gravity HW, pumped CH, the controls probably need updating, whether heat-only, system or combi. As the new boiler will be in a different location from the existing, there'll be some pipe mods for any boiler, so it might be appropriate to move the pump (if separate as in heat-only)

Reactions: DP
I think I've researched the pros and cons so am not blindly going for a combi.
The current controls are an ancient timer Sangamo 410 F4 with no thermostat (room or HW) with gravity HW and pumped CH.

Even if I can't persuade my mother for a new boiler (one part depends on how compelling the gas prices make the payback) then she would consider a new programmable controller to optimise the efficiency for the 65% back boiler.

The ideal would be a "simple" one with thermostats for heating and HW that would also work with a combi (or other boiler) in future.
The anxiety around any new "gadgets" is not to be underestimated - and that even extends to staying somewhere nice while any work is done!
I've had Drayton Wiser and Tado and they have had issues which she would not be abe to cope with (even though I normally favour solutions that can be remotely controlled).

Tx again for all the info.
Sangamo timer 2022-09-06 10.07.04 Screen Snipping.png

I think I've researched the pros and cons so am not blindly going for a combi.
The current controls are an ancient timer Sangamo 410 F4 with no thermostat (room or HW) with gravity HW and pumped CH.

Even if I can't persuade my mother for a new boiler (one part depends on how compelling the gas prices make the payback) then she would consider a new programmable controller to optimise the efficiency for the 65% back boiler.

The ideal would be a "simple" one with thermostats for heating and HW that would also work with a combi (or other boiler) in future.
The anxiety around any new "gadgets" is not to be underestimated - and that even extends to staying somewhere nice while any work is done!
I've had Drayton Wiser and Tado and they have had issues which she would not be abe to cope with (even though I normally favour solutions that can be remotely controlled).

Tx again for all the info.View attachment 278740
Sounds to me like you need to let a heating engineer look at it. If you go for combi the HW outlet on the combi will need connecting to the HW outlet pipe from the cylinder somewhere (not necessarily near the cylinder), likewise for the CH outlet into the heating circuit.
With heat-only or system need to connect to the cylinder primary and to the heating circuit (after a diverter valve).
How straightforward any of that is depends very much on the house layout.

Ask him what regulation.
What has water carrying pipe got to do with Gas Safety Regulations.

You can call Gas Safe and ask them. Will not cost you anything
0800 408 5577
Gas Safe were very helpful and confirmed that this was nothing to do with Gas Safe regs.
They also supplied me with Tech Bulletin 091 "Decommision part of a gas appliance" which Baxi advised me needed to be followed confirming that it is possible to retain a back boiler gas fire whilst decommissioning the back boiler, contrary to what several installers have said.
I completely appreciate that installers may have their installation preferences, but they appear to quote regs or manufacturers as being the source behind their advice when this is not the case when I have checked. Quite worrying.

With heat-only or system need to connect to the cylinder primary and to the heating circuit (after a diverter valve).
How straightforward any of that is depends very much on the house layout.
Good chance the HW primary is gravity fed
system boiler will need fully pumped primaries to cylinder and radiators.

While it is a possibility, but often the cylinder is not insulated and indirect coil resistance would be low to aid circulation.

Connect it to fully pumped system, boiler will be cycling a lot as it will be low content and heatup would be rapid. So cylinder change would be in the cards too to make good use of boiler heat output as often cylinders have high input indirect coils

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back