Stainless steel/brushed aluminium pattresses

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Anyone know where I can obtain brushed stainless steel or aluminium or brushed chrome surface mount boxes for 2 gang sockets? It needs to be surface mounted in a kitchen to match other proposed stainless recessed sockets and light switches.

I can find chrome but nothing with a matt finish that will even look similar.

Before BAS has a go - I am registered and it will be notified!

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
There is no such beast.

Can you not flush mount them?

The do not exist as if you are going to all the trouble of fitting nice sockets, you don't want a horrid surface mount box spoiling the effect :LOL:

Thanks RF and I quite agree but this is a socket on the end of a breakfast bar formed of cupboard units. If I cut into the cupboard side to mount it flush then I need to hide the guts of the switch - any back box then projects inside the cupboard which the client doesn't want. I've suggested pop up socket towers but they don't want that either.

Clients don't we just love 'em?

Sponsored Links
They'd prefer it flush but don't want to lose any space in the cupboard as the cupboard wall is not deep enough to lose the socket in. Mad - I don't make that sort of comment until they have paid the final bill.

One of them chrome boxes and some P180 grit sandpaper?

Failing that, you might need a sheet metal worker to fabricate something for you.

Just a thought, I wonder if there is some sort of vandal proof socket which would look the part?

I would probably go for black metal backboxes, should look good against the metal fronts (providing they 'fit' right) unless you get a match perfect you need something contrasting IMO.

Thanks everyone - especially the sandpaper idea - quality!

Clients now busy changing their minds about everything so hopefully they will see sense about this - if not it's off to FarmerJons link.

Clients now busy changing their minds about everything so hopefully they will see sense about this - if not it's off to FarmerJons link.

You want to know how I solved a simular problem last time this came up?

Go to an RS trade counter and get a diecast enclosure the same size as the socket or switch, get some nylon spacers (also rs) and mount them from the back of the enclosure using counter sink screws and screw the scoket or switch pins into these. If you are lucky I used a box that was the same size as a socket or switch and then cut a cable gland into the back. You can get them so they are 20mm depth a tight squeeze but they dont that odd. Maybee some wet and dry after it but it should work. My customer never noticed!

Note the diecast enclosures RS sell are alinimum, black diecast, untreated diecast so you have a choice on what to fit.

EDIT: hard to really show what I mean with words, basically disgard the lid if you cant use it and use nylon spacers to mount the socket or switch that now becomes the lid for the enclosure.
Hope this helps.

Adam

Thanks RF and I quite agree but this is a socket on the end of a breakfast bar formed of cupboard units. If I cut into the cupboard side to mount it flush then I need to hide the guts of the switch - any back box then projects inside the cupboard which the client doesn't want. I've suggested pop up socket towers but they don't want that either.

Clients don't we just love 'em?
Cable tray suspended from the ceiling - socket dangling down into mid-air on SY?

How do you think they make brushed SS?

If the ones from electrix were only polished I was going to suggest using an abrasive too.... ;)

You just know that they are going to be eye-wateringly expensive....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back