Stair Angle

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Can anyone give me a steer? I'm looking at a potential renovation project where the biggest problem I can see is the treacherously steep stair. My question is will the local BCO make me change them to meet regulations or can I leave them alone? Am I right in thinking the acceptable angle is around 40degrees. Think the ones in question are around 52 degrees.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
I think that depends on the age of the house. For example I've now done a couple of like for like replacements on terrace houses where the the going on the original staircase wouldn't meet legislation. BCO didn't bat an eyelid. I think the issues arise when you are putting in new or making substantive changes. Their main cincern was that the structure of the stairs was up to scratch, hence a requirement to provide a cross-sectional drawing of the stairs (although not of the winders at the bottom)

Scrit

Thanks for that,

Presumably, the only thing I can do to reduce this steep angle is to replace with an 'L' shape stairs, say three steps up, then 90 degree turn up the rest. Is this sort of thing available 'off the peg' or would it have to be custom made? Ball park figure for something like this?

Sponsored Links
starting the stairs earlier is a good solution
but as noeseall says you have to watch the headroom

by starting the stairs earlier you will need to open the stairwell proportionately back

by the time you get to the base off the original stairs your going to be approaching 1 mtr higher

and considering the original need to fit a very steep staircase probably means major structural work with major loss of precious space above and around the base off the stairs :cry:

david1805 said:
Presumably, the only thing I can do to reduce this steep angle is to replace with an 'L' shape stairs, say three steps up, then 90 degree turn up the rest. Is this sort of thing available 'off the peg' or would it have to be custom made? Ball park figure for something like this?
As BA says. Like for like is always the easiest option. If you do go for a staicase with a winder at the bottom they are not off the shelf as every one is different, so you should expect the price to be greater. They also tend to be a 3 man job to install because you probably won't get them through the door or window in one piece, they come in as a winder section, and upper section and "bits". Assembling them in an old, non-square building can be a faff especially if they are over a lower staircae (e.g. 1st floor landing to attic)

Scrit

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back