stair coverings

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to cover the stairs in my Victorian house cheaply. I like the look of stair runners but they are very expensive. I have bought some narrow sisal rugs with latex backing that I would like to install instead of carpeting. I'm not expecting them to last forever but can anyone tell me how to attach them to the stairs without using stair rods.

Sponsored Links
Using staples sounds like a good idea. If I use inderlay should I use a continuous piece for the length of the stairs or cut stair pads? Any other advice on laying carpet on stairs would be helpful too.

all stair carpets i have seen have separate underlay for each tread, no point in putting underlay on the riser.( Unless you intend to lift the carpet and turn the underlay round, which i doubt if you can sucessfully do if it is stapled, and its a bit pointless)

(they do go a bit on the riser, but just enough to fix it)

Sponsored Links
Any other advice on laying carpet on stairs would be helpful too.
Individual pads on the treads is fine, staple down before the carpet.
Start at the top.(Just beneath the nose of the landing is ideal)
Ensure each panel (riser/tread) is secured before moving on to the next
Make sure you get the carpet well into the Riser/tread corner. (to tight here leads to the carpet popping up with wear)
Make sure it is tight around the nose of the stair. (slack here leads to accidents)
If you can't get a staple gun, use long nose pliers to hold the staples, (saves fingers).
Positions of staples on my stairs were: Top edge of riser (just under the nose) and Back edge of tread.

I think it's quite common for carpets to be laid on stairs without being tacked under the nose. This can lead to a bit of slop in this area when the carpet stretches. I find this a bit dodgy. I am probably just a bit over cautious on this issue.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back