Staircase Help!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
image.jpeg image.jpeg Hi, noticed my staircase had dropped slightly in one spot, causing a crack along the closed stringer.
Looks like the stringer has rotted and cracked in places.
Is this repairable?
Pics attached, excuse the cobwebs, I haven't been under the stairs for a very long time

Sponsored Links
I'd have thought that a couple of frame fixers would sort it out?

You could source a chunky bit of angle iron and screw it to the wall, so that the other part supports the stringer rail?

Britanicus, good evening.

Is this stair stringer on a stair leading to a Cellar?

Have you tried to shove a screwdriver or similar into the stringer itself?

Ken

No it's leading upstairs, a screwdriver pushes into the wood quite easily, it's seems quite rotten just in one spot, the rest is solid

Sponsored Links
As TCR says something along the stringer underneath to support it, but if the wood is really that rotten then cut it out under the tread and then fix something directly to the wall to support the individual treads

Britanicus, Hi again

One question I would ask is where did the Moisture [water] come from that has caused the stringer to rot?

I can see why the Stringer would rot if the stair were in a Basement, but if the stair is above ground level where is the moisture coming from to over a long time cause the rot to flourish?

Is the wall to which the stringer is fitted an External wall ? if so is that wall a cavity brick or solid masonry or is it a one brick thick Solid wall??

Ken.

We have no idea, the stringer is against an interior brick wall, which is not attached to any exterior wall at all. The wall above the stairs suffers with a circular patch which always shows up and paint bubbles and flakes when put on that patch.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back