Staircase repair

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Firstly Guys and Gals, thank you for all your advice so far. Project is coming along nicely.
I now have a more serious problem i think. the main staircase in the house (1830'3 design) has a sweeping return at the top (90 degrees) and the top three steps are in terrible condition. I can't get access to underneath the stairs so how do I replace the treads from above??

Sponsored Links
yes. the problem is that it's such an old house with an accumulation of botch jobs!! the understairs cupboard has been completely boarded out and then T+G NAILED in over the top so access to the actual "bones" of the stair is almost impossible. the problem is that ideally we wanted to put a carpet runner with stair rods up the stairs but until i can get them into a decent enough condition it's gonna look crap. :(

As it's an old house then it's best to do a proper job because stairs are heavy foot traffic and the only real way is to break out underneath, re-glued the wedges, blocks and sometime a section of plywood glue to treads and risers depending what the problem is or renew the treads if bad condition, having says that, it's best to do the whole lot while you can get at it, then renew with fire resistance boards, will be more solid and quiter when done ;)

Sponsored Links
yes ... i thought that might be the case bud .. Thank you !

Oh well .... that's January booked out then !!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back