staircase wall help!!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i need some advice on removing a wall beside my staircase. my stairs have a wall on either side and i would like to remove the inside one to open up my hall.

now the problem i have is that i know the wall isnt a supporting one as the joists run parallel to it, but it is a galleried staircase at the top and im unsure how the galleried bit is supported. if i remove the wall do i need to reinforce the joists at the top of the overhang bit, put an rsj under it or are they usually self-supporting????

any advice greatly appreciated. :LOL:

Sponsored Links
sorry, i dont have any yet as ive not moved in yet....its all in my head!!! is it the newel post in the middle of the landing you were on about as there is only wall at the bottom just now?

does this need to go down to ground floor level to be ok??

A bit awkward without seeing it, may need a suryeror if it's a load bearing wall.

Sponsored Links
how old is the house and is there a half landing with a further couple of steps up to the main landing.If so then the half landing may be held up by this wall, quite a simple procedure to remove this as you only then need to support the landing, check with a SE.

the house is a 1900 victorian semi, it does have a half landing with one step up to the main one, but the wall we want to remove would not be taken away that far up, just enough to open the bottom bit.

thought it might have been, do you mean you will still leave the wall under the half landing, if so would think its ok to remove the rest does the galleried bit open onto the room below, it is probably held up on the floor joists running parallel to the stairs.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back