Stairs - Covering

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I am allergic to carpet and need to surface our v bad condition wooden stairs. I have been told that it is impossible to lay vinyl on stairs and am not sure if laminate would be Ok. Help anyone?

Sponsored Links
What's the 'bare' material of your stairs now? If chipboard, plywood or wahtever you could consider 'overlay': 6 to 9mm thick solid wood strips (90 to 110mm wide).
If pine and in good condition, strip of your carpet and treat it with with non-slip product.

Stairs are plywood and very noisy so we would like to put some sort of cover on them.

Sponsored Links
if you want a covering on the stair to deaden the noise you could use a rubber or acoustic backed vinyl floorcovering. these can't be folded over the stair so you would also have to use a metal or rubber nosing fixed to the leading edge of each step to take the wear.
Unfortunately this would be pretty expensive and wouldn't look very nice in a house.

Never have liked the idea of slippery coverings or surfaces on stairs. Wet feet or socks.. in a hurry...arrrggghhhh...ride in ambulance (or worse)

When you say allergic to carpet, do you mean mn made or natural fibre or is it some of the coatings that are put on such as scotchguard etc?

How about these as an alternative to traditional carpet http://www.tileandflooring.co.uk/natural-fibre-carpets.html

Hi

I did a google search and this thread came up. I am looking to cover my stairs with something other than carpeting. Did u come up with any good ideas ?

please note forum rule 20
The post you hi-jacked is 1 year old

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back