Stale water smell from the Bathroom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
After fixing the overflow problem on my toilet and bleeding the radiators I have noticed a type of stale water smell coming from the toilet.
It's noticable when you walk into the bathroom but seems to disappear after a few seconds when your nose gets use to it.
It's hard to describe what it smells like, it's not a sewage smell...more of a stale water smell. The type of smell that you would get from leaving a wet towel damp for some time.
Anyone got any suggestions what it might be?
I thought it might just be a general bad odour but i do clean my toilet regulary. I'm puzzled.
:confused:

Sponsored Links
It sounds as though there may be leak on the toilet system, if it is a wall mounted cistern check under it where the cold feed connection is, water may have got into your floorboards via this or by the overflow connection lose, dont try to tighten any plastic unions however, check all joints and if your unsure contact a plumber.

Regards

See this if it any help.

Did you also bleed the radiator in the bathroom and maybe some inhibitor run down on the back of your radiator smelling.

Thank you for the pointers! :D , I'll look into both and see if I get any further with the problem. I'll post the results soon.

Sponsored Links
No luck I'm afraid. No leaking Toilet or radiator spillage.
I've got some bleach, do you think i should flush the overflow pipe with it?
Also the shower plug hole?

Yes and don't give up ! including the overflow in hand basin and bath.Might be idea to take the trap waste out and clean etc

fixed The smell was coming from the bathtub plug hole. I used 1 dose of Mr Muscle sink/shower unblocker and left it over night.
Jobs a gooden the smell has now gone. :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back