Stand alone cooker

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm busy moving house and trying to do it on as low a budget as possible.

I have to buy a new cooker and am looking at a stand alone electric one, however, I want to avoid paying the £50 an electrician will charge me for wiring it in.

There is already a fused switch in place and a panel to wire it into. Am I right in thinking that it is more or less the same as wiring a plug? I simply connect live to live, neutral to neutral and earth to earth? or is there anything else I should be aware of before attempting it?

Sponsored Links
Yes ...make sure its isolated

You say there is a panel to wire into and a fused switch in place ... there's not normally a FUSED switch, that sounds like a fused spur unit your describing and would not be suitable for a stand alone cooker

There should be a dedicated cooker unit or 45a switch (usually red) with a 6mm or 10mm supply cable and if you are lucky another cable wil come out of the load side down to a cooker outlet box below (commonly known as a 'pigs arse box') inside this will be 3-terminals Live (red) - Earth - Nuetral (black) .... is this the panel you are talking about? and it is simply a case of matching the colours and ensure that a bit of yellow/green sleeving is put over the earth

What I have is a unit on the wall above the worktop, with one standard socket and a red switch labelled "cooker"

Then, in the space that the cooker fits, there is a plastic panel on the wall with a hole cut into the bottom. Ive opened it up and it looks like you've described, three terminals to connect to.

So, sounds like I have everything I need! I should be able to do that..

Thanks for the help

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back