Standard Fuse conversion

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,I moved into my house just over a year ago.It has the standard plug in fuses in the main fuse box.Ive heard you can get a rcd type fuse(i think thats what there called) to plug in instead,would this be safer than the old types,especially in the shower ??

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
You have most likely got a Wylex Standard consumer unit, in brown or cream plastic. Many millions of these were installed in the UK, mostly in the 60's and 70's

You can get plug-in MCBs to fit. they are quicker and easier to reset in the event of a fault, and not prone to people repairing them with unsafe extra-thick fusewire (there is no wire, you just flick a switch or press a button)

You can't get RCDs to fit. An RCD protects against electric shock in the event of an earth fault. they are considered good practice to fit on sockets and electric shower circuits, and under current rules are required on (almost) all circuits in new domestic installations.

Yours is rather an old design and likely to be overdue for replacement.

Have a look next to the main switch and tell us what the max power rating is (likely to be 60 Amps) and what colour it is.

Post a photo if you can.

Wylex Standard MCBs
View media item 1011

Hello and yes it says Wylex on the fuse box cover,The main fuse coming into the house says 60/80 amp with a security tag around it.There are only 4 fuses in the box(max).Would it be poss to come off somewhere and put in a rcd for the shower,as the thought of getting fried whilst waiting for the fuse to melt aint too inviting

the fuse box and main fuse carrier is brown.would a msb save me getting poss fried as a temp thing until i get a rcd sorted for the shower ??

look at the wylex and see what rating it says.

An MCB protects against overload or short circuit (like the fuse) but does not give any significant protection against electrocution.

if it is brown it is probably over 30 years old and well due for replacement.

How about that picture? show the CU, main fuse, meter, and the various cables around them, especially any that are bare or green and yellow.

I would recommend you have the shower supplied from a new CU with an RCD, installed by a suitably qualified electrician with Henley blocks and probably you will need new tails, earth connections and other upgrades (it is notifiable work and there are rules to be followed by law).

If the new CU is medium or large, you will be able to use it for additional circuits in future (your house is probably overdue for a rewire)

Sponsored Links
Hello,on the fuse box it just says Wylex with no figures at all,there are 4 fuses 2 x 5amp and 2 x 30 amp,I cant sort a pic at mo as im off to work shortly.

Yes your probally right about it being ripped out and a new one being installed,are you talking of a total house rewire ?? or just a new cu with an rcd in place of the old Wylex.

Would a Electrician from work be able to put a new consumer unit in or does it have to be certificated ?

When you post a pic from Photobucket, just go to the list of gobbledook under the pic you've uploaded and click on "IMG CODE"
That will copy the photo's URL
Then come to the forum and paste (CTRL V) the IMG code in your message. Then we get the pic without us having to go to photobucket...

Like this:

dwarf.jpg

The service fuse unit in the picture looks like a PME type setup. - The same type as my own one.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back