Standard rad outputs versus designer ones

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm looking to update my downstairs radiators, was thinking using something more stylish and may be upright rather than the horzonal ones.
I've had a bit of a google but the watted put out by some of these seem to be quite low.
What output is normal for a standard radiator and waht would be the desired output to heat an area of 4m x 3m also this area does continue in to a dining area of the same size with no door seperating them.
So two rads might be needed

Sponsored Links
...What output is normal for a standard radiator...
What size is a standard radiator?
Sorry I'll expand but forgive me for ignorance and terminology :oops:
I was thinking of using a 1200x600 double rad but to save wall and so it's no situated behind the settee, was thinking of using the vertical ones rather than the horizontal ones. I've seen some that the output is 460W going up to 1.9kW but I'm not sure if they are any good, I assume the larger the rad the more warmth they produce but is there a difference between these types.

upright rads always give out less

normal rads are longer so more surface to send heat out it rises you know ;)

think of towel rails in bathrooms look nice but you usually need a rad to warn the room :idea:

Sponsored Links
Thank you for taking the time to bear with me and explain.
so the normal traditional horizontal ones are more heat productive and economically efficient.

The output will be marked on the manufacturers bumf.

Or in other words if the room requires 5000btu's get a rad with that output.

Buy a rad that is at least a full size up from whatever you find, but bigger is better. Don't forget that rads will give at least 10% less than advertised on condensing boilers; if you don't have one now, you will in the future.

Buy a rad that is at least a full size up from whatever you find, but bigger is better. Don't forget that rads will give at least 10% less than advertised on condensing boilers; if you don't have one now, you will in the future.
Cheers bengasman,
Excuse me for my ignorance, a full size up means? :oops:

I will be getting new boiler in new year as I want to move the one we have to the loft to create more space in the bathroom. I understand, as it is not a condensing one will need to be updated.
When I say I want to move it, I have a friend who is a gas safe engineer, he will be doing this, not me.

Cheers bengasman,
Excuse me for my ignorance, a full size up means? :oops:
For example: calculation gives 876 watt. Closest available size = 900 W. Next size up would be 1000 W. Personally, I would take the one after that, something like 1100W.

These are just example values, in reality the output values are never round figures. Common size "normal" rad outputs are: 1384, 1557, 1730 for 800, 900 and 1000 mm wide.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back