Standing water, clay soil and a soakaway

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hiya

We noticed a lot of standing water after moderate rainfall in the centre of the garden so I lifted the patio flags and it was sitting water on quite heavy clay soil/builders sand mixture.

I dug a channel out and have begun to dig a soakaway in the corner of the garden and am down about 1 metre so far, just gone past blue clay. Is this going to be effective to hold the water and let it seep through slowly - is there any guarantee I'll hit something a bit more porous?

Cheers for advice.

SOLVED

Update on this was to dig the soakaway a bit deeper but eventually didn't hit anything more porous so ended up buying a sump pump from B&Q for £50 and installed that. It has an auto float switch so automatically comes one when the soakaway reaches full volume and pumps it into the main drain. Hope this helps someone else!

Sponsored Links
I don't suppose there are any guarantees and as you don't say what part of the Uk you are in it may be difficult for people from your area to share their experiences.

However, why don't you just put water into the hole you've dug and see how quickly it drains?
If it doesn't you need to go deeper.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back