Standing Water On Summerhouse Base

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I recently erected a summerhouse. Having previously had a concrete base for it constructed by contractors.

The base the contractors have provided is pretty much what I asked for. And I am now wondering whether I should have specified that the base should slope slightly or something similar?

The problem I have is that water sits on the concrete after is has rained. Although this is only apparent on one half of the base - The rightmost half in the following photo:

The water is only a couple of millimetres deep. But I think it is not desirable for this to be present around sections of the floor bracing of the summerhouse.

I would be grateful for any suggestions as to what I could do to improve this situation.

Thank you.

Sponsored Links
The base is a bit high really in relation to the summerhouse. Is it possible to raise it, maybe by placing a brick under the bearers?
The base would have been better with a fall away from the summerhouse too, but its a bit late now.

Just drill a hole through the concrete at the deepest point for drainage.

Sponsored Links
The height of the surface of the base was chosen to match the level of an existing access path. And I agree that I should have specified a fall away.

I went out this morning and drilled a hole through the concrete as suggested. It has been raining hard here from mid afternoon onwards. And standing water on the base is no longer a problem.

A simple solution. And perhaps obvious. But I might never have thought of it myself.

Thank you so much catlad.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back