summerhouse base not square.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all
I have just finished building the base for my summerhouse.
It is 4.7 m wide with a depth of 2.4m
It is constructed using 4x2 with a centre joist running left to right in the middle and joists front to back on 500mm centres.
I have just laid it down after fully constructing it ( joints screwed together) and the diaganols are out by about 10mm.
Now to be fair the back row of foundations are not fully finished but I dont think that will make much difference.

Should I be worried about 10mm?
if so how can I cure it.
The frame is sitting on concrete post foundations and wont be screwed to the base .
I was thinking maybe standing it on its end and trying to push one corner and then use some osb to fix it place?

Any help appreciated.
Thanks

Sponsored Links
10mm over 5.3m is 0.18%. I would say that you've done pretty damn well there and any attempt to improve it would probably make it worse :D

Sponsored Links
I did indeed but I am pretty sure i was reading 5.17 on the diagonal but maybe it was 5.27.
But thanks again

OK...if you measured 5170 and we think the diagonal should be 5270 [I do] then you're out by 100mm not 10mm. That's probably worth doing something about.

Why not
My mistake
the size is 4.6 x 2.4 so the diagonal should be 5.188
my measurements are 5.17.5 and 5.185 ( measured one handed so not mm accurate!
so still 10mm out but I cant see that being too much of a problem
Thanks for all your help

I'd not do maths. Carefully and accurately measure both diagonals, if it is square they will be exactly the same.

I'd not do maths. Carefully and accurately measure both diagonals, if it is square they will be exactly the same.
Bit unsure about your reply as the whole post was about it not being perfectly square but whether the amount was deemed to within "tolerance"

I meant to measure both diagonals and see how they differ. Easier than calculations

I meant to measure both diagonals and see how they differ. Easier than calculations
That is what this thread started with, a 10mm difference in the diagonals, it means that the straight edges are 7 mm out of square, not much really.

Is there a reason you went with joists set at 500mm as you get the 2.4 front to back but they won't fall on the sheet ends side to side ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back